URI Spirit Program is committed to providing a dynamic and positive environment for young woman to pursue all aspects of excellence. This includes character, self discipline, commitment and leadership. We believe in education through sport, practicality and promoting community and pride in the University of Rhode Island.
The University of Rhode Island Cheerleading program consists of female cheerleaders. We have one non-competitive squad that cheers at football and men's and women's basketball games. There are currently no scholarships available for cheerleaders.
On Saturday, April 6th there will be a pretryout clinic held from 10:00 to 4:00. This clinic is recommended for anyone interested in trying out for college cheerleader regardless of the school. All areas of how to prepare for Collegiate cheerleading will be covered.
There is a $20.00 registration fee.
The deadline date to send in registration for the pretryout clinic is March 30th.
Please make payment to URI Alumni and mail to:
50 Ocean Village Court
Wakefield, RI. 02879
Tryouts for the 2013-2014 school year will be held on Saturday, April 20th from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm and Sunday, April 21st from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm in Keaney Gymnasium. These tryout dates are for everyone including incoming freshman as well as all returning cheerleaders. There is no other tryout held for the 2013-2014 season. NEW - WE WILL BE ATTENDING UCA COLLEGIATE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS IN 2014
Requirements for the Squad:
1. Prior cheerleading experience.
2. Excellent crowd leading.
3. Good motion technique.
4. A strong desire and commitment to URI Athletics.
5. Tumbling (must have a standing back hand spring by yourself on the basketball court).
6. Must be able to execute advanced and elite level stunts.
7. If for some reason you cannot attend tryout weekend, please email Coordinator, Spirit Squads- Ray Lyons no later than March 29th to get approval to submit a DVD. DVD submissions will be accepted on a case-by-case basis. Any DVD being submitted in lieu of a tryout will have to be received no later than April 12th and have a $30 tryout fee included with the DVD.
8. If selected to be a URI cheerleader, there is a NEW URI Cheerleader fee to be paid the weekend of tryouts. All checks will be made out to URI Alumni.
9. There is a $30 tryout fee, which includes lunch on Saturday - this must be paid in cash Saturday morning of tryouts.
10. Please wear a white top and navy shorts.
For more information please contact Coordinator, Spirit Squads- Ray Lyons