Rhode Island Lineup
Hess (2B), Figueroa (C), Powell (CF), Corin (1B), O'Neil (3B), Jewell (LF), Hill (SS), Ulliana (DH), Lee (RF), Johnson (P)
William & Mary Lineup
Hall (RF), Large (2B), Miconi (DH), Smith (C), Ameer (CF), Raquet (LF), Ryan (3B), Trehub (1B), Wrighte (SS), Brown (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (6-9) got on the board first, taking a 1-0 lead in the top of the third when Chris Hess singled to drive in Laurence Hill. Hill had led off the inning with a single through the left side and stole second before crossing the plate on Hess' team-leading 21st hit of the season.
William & Mary (10-7) responded with eight runs over the next three frames however, taking an 8-1 lead before the Rams managed to score again. In the top of the seventh, Hess singled again, this time sending one to right center to drive in Hill who had eld off the inning with a walk.
That was as close as the game would get however, as the Tribe tacked on three more runs for the eventual 11-2 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt junior Chris Hess went 2-for-4 and drove in both Rhode Island runs.
- Redshirt sophomore Laurence Hill scored both of the Rams' runs, going 1-for-2 with a walk.
- Redshirt senior Matt O'Neil also had two hits for the Rams, including his second double of the season.
- Junior Nick Johnson was charged with the loss as he allowed six runs (all earned) on nine hits over 4.0 innings. He struck out five and walked a pair.
- Nick Brown picked up the win for the Tribe. He allowed just one run on four hits over a 6.0-innings start.
- William & Mary right fielder Ryan Hall went 5-for-5 with two RBI and three runs scored.
- Cullen Large and Kyle Wrighte each had three hits for the Tribe while Hunter Smith drove in three runs.
The Rams and Tribe return to Plumeri Park for Game Two of the weekend series, Saturday at 4 p.m.