Rhode Island Lineup
Powell (CF), Lee (LF), Hess (C), O'Neil (3B), Corin (DH), Foley (RF), McManus (2B), Hill (SS), Wessel (1B), Walker (P)
Campana (RF), MacKinnon (1B), Bardrell (CF), Bängsten (SS), Ward (3B), Sullivan (LF), Walker (DH), Ramsay (C), Ruch (2B), Moconyi (P)
How it Happened
Rhode Island (19-15) jumped all over Hartford early on and fended off a late Hawks' rally to pick up the 14-13 road win Wednesday afternoon.
The Rams took a 4-0 lead in the top of the first inning, thanks to a two-run single by Matt O'Neil and a two-run double by Laurence Hill. The following inning, Chris Hess doubled to center to drive in Jesse Lee and give URI a five-run lead.
Hartford (11-19) got a pair of runs back in the bottom of the third, but Rhody responded by putting four more on the board in the top of the fourth. There, the Rams used two walks and a hit-by-pitch to load the bases for O'Neil, whose sacrifice fly scored Ben Wessel for the 6-2 advantage. Corin was then walked to reload the bases for Mike Foley, who drove in both Hess and Jordan Powell on a single to left field. Brett McManus then reached on an error which allowed Corin to cross the plate and make it a 9-2 ballgame.
Foley struck again in his next at-bat, launching a three-run shot over the left field wall to put the Rams up by 10 (12-2).
A Hartford single, followed by a trio of two-out walks made it 12-3 in the bottom of the seventh but the Rams got the run back in their next trip to the plate when redshirt sophomore Sam Ilario's pinch-hit double plated freshman Kyle Beaulieu to push the lead back to 10 (13-3).
The Hawks surged back in the bottom of the eighth however, scoring nine runs on seven walks and four hits to cut Rhody's lead to just one at 13-12.
Hess then scored what proved to be the game-winning run on a ninth-inning error as Hartford pushed one across in the bottom of the inning but was unable to get any closer.
Inside the Box Score
- Thirteen different Rams recorded at least one plate appearance on the afternoon with 12 of those players getting on base at least once.
- Redshirt senior Matt O'Neil continued his hot streak, going 3-for-5 with three RBI, two runs scored and a stolen base.
- Redshirt junior Chris Hess made his first career start behind the dish for the Rams, who have now used five different catchers this season. Offensively, Hess walked, doubled, was hit by a pitch and scored two runs.
- Junior Mike Foley drove in a career-high five runs, three of which came on his fourth homer of the season.
- Redshirt senior Mike Corin singled, doubled, was walked once and was hit by a pitch once. He also scored three runs for the Rams.
- Junior Jordan Powell singled, walked and scored a pair of runs. He has now reached base in a team-best 18 consecutive games.
- Redshirt sophomore Laurence Hill drove in two runs on his third double of the season.
- Redshirt senior Ben Wessel made his first career start at first base. At the plate, he singled, walked and scored a run.
- Freshman Kyle Beaulieu was walked twice and scored once.
- Freshman Jake Walker earned the start on the hill and threw two shutout innings for the Rams.
- Junior Dom Grillo (1.2 IP), redshirt senior Blaise Whitman (1.0 IP), sophomore Mark Silvestri (1.0 IP) also kept the Hawks off the board in their respective relief appearances.
- Grillo earned the win for Rhode Island, while redshirt junior Tyler Barss picked up the 1.1-inning save.
The Rams return to action on Friday afternoon when they open up a three-game Atlantic 10 series at George Washington.