URI - LHP Tyler Wilson (0-2, 5.14 ERA)
UF - RHP Brady Singer (2-1, 2.84 ERA)
URI - RHP Vitaly Jangols (1-1, 2.76 ERA)
UF - RHP Jackson Kowar (3-0, 1.86 ERA)
URI - RHP Matt Murphy (0-1, 2.08 ERA)
UF - RHP Tyler Dyson (2-1, 1.42 ERA)
- The Gators enter the weekend looking to rebound from back-to-back losses to UCF. Florida first fell to the Knights (9-7) in Orlando on Tuesday, before droppoing a 4-2 decision at home on Wednesday.
- UF's only other loss this season was a 2-0 defeat at Miami on Feb. 25.
- Florida is ranked #1 in four of five national polls this week (Baseball America, NCBWA, Collegiate Baseball, D1Baseball).
- The Gators are led offensively by four players hitting .300 or better: JJ Schwarz (.375), Blake Reese (.364), Wil Dalton (.362) and Nelson Maldonado (.345). The quartet has combined for 82 hits - 19 doubles, 3 triples and 12 home runs - 48 RBI and 30 walks.
- Nick Hovath is a perfect 4-for-4 in stolen base attempts.
- The Gators will send a trio of righties to the mound this weekend. Brady Singer (Friday) is 2-1 with a 2.84 ERA. Jackson Kowar (Saturday) is 3-0 with a 1.86 ERA. Tyler Dyson (Sunday) has held opponents to a .197 average while boasting a 1.46 ERA.
- Michael Byrne has recorded three saves so far this season, allowing just eight hits over 11 shutout innings. He has fanned 12 and walked none.
Rhode Island (2-8)
- Rhode Island returns to Gainesville for a three-game series against #1 Florida. The Rams also made the trip to McKethan Stadium in 2015, playing three games against the then #2 Gators.
- Seniors Jordan Powell, Dom Grillo and Tyler Wilson all made their first career appearances in the series. Powell's first career hit came in the opener (Feb. 12) while Wilson allowed just one hit over a 3.1-inning of relief appearance in the finale. Grillo also came out of the pen against UF, giving up two hits over two innings of work.
- Rhode Island is back in the Sunshine State after dropping three games to Jacksonville last weekend. URI was held scoreless for the first time this season in the opener, falling 6-0. The Rams dropped the second game 3-1 and the third 2-1.
- Four of Rhody's eight losses this season have been by a single run.
- Powell has reached base safely in each of his last 47 games played. He also enters the weekend with an active eight-game hitting streak and - dating back to last season - has recorded at least one hit in 22 of URI's last 23 games.
- Sophomore Greg Cavaliere has scored a team-best six runs so far this season, and is second (behind Powell) in total hits (9).
- Powell and Cavaliere both are 4-for-5 in stolen base attempts.
- Redshirt senior Matt Murphy leads the Rams' starting pitchers with a 2.08 ERA over 17.1 innings of work, however he is 0-1 over his three starts.
- Senior reliever Nick Johnson has fanned 10 with just one walk and five hits allowed over 6.0 innings of relief work (four appearances). He has URI's lone save of the season.
- Sophomore Nick Robinson has made three appearances out of the pen, maintaining a 0.00 ERA through 5.2 innings.