Rhode Island Lineup
Heiss (SS), Brodeur (2B), Powell (CF), Coutts (DH), Ulliana (C), McManus (1B), Mircovich (LF), Ilario (RF), Daller (3B), Jangols (P)
Dalton (RF), Maldonado (DH), Schwarz (1B), India (3B), Langworthy (LF), Reese (2B), Liput (SS), Smith (C), Horvath (CF), Dyson (P)
How it Happened
In similar fashion to Friday's series opener, No. 1 Florida jumped out to an early lead and never looked back. The Gators (14-3) led 6-0 after two innings and pushed their advantage to nine after six.
Rhode Island (2-10) pushed across single runs in seventh and eighth innings, but was unable to get any closer, eventually falling by a score of 9-2.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Jackson Coutts and redshirt freshman Josh Brodeur each finished with two hits for the Rams. Brodeur also reached once via hit by pitch.
- Redshirt junior Laurence Hill and redshirt freshman Alex Santos each drove in a run. Hill's RBI was a seventh-inning, pinch-hit sacrifice fly that scored redshirt junior Sam Ilario while Santos plated junior Brett McManus with an RBI groundout in the eighth.
- Sophomore Vitaly Jangols took the loss, giving up eight runs on nine hits over four innings on the hill.
- Sophomore Jake Walker allowed one run and struck out two in a 2.0-inning relief appearance.
- Redshirt junior Cam LaFleur faced the minimum over the final two innings. He struck out one and only allowed one ball to leave the infield - a fly out to left to start the bottom of the eighth.
- Tyler Dyson picked up the win in a 6.1-inning start for Florida. Hunter McMullen tossed the final 2.2 innings for the Gators. Each pitcher gave up one (unearned) run.
The Rams and Gators remain at McKethan Stadium for Game 2 of the Saturday doubleheader. First pitch is set for 4 p.m.