Game 1: Rhode Island 3, Massachusetts 1
Rhode Island got off to a slow start as UMass' Sean Harney did not allow a hit through the game's first five innings. Trailing 1-0, the Rams were finally able to put something together in the top of the sixth. There, Austin White was hit by a pitch, Jackson Coutts later drew a two-out walk and Brett McManus beat out a single to short to load the bases. Xavier Vargas then roped a two-run double down the right field line to drive in White and Coutts and give Rhody a 2-1 lead.
Rhody added another run in the top of the eighth, when pinch runner Max Mircovich scored on a fielder's choice ball by Mike Foley. The Minutemen managed just one hit the rest of the way as URI held on for the 3-1 victory.
Game 2: Rhode Island 6, Massachusetts 3
The Rams jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the top of the first when Kevin Heiss - who had singled to left with one away - stole second and then scored on a two-out double by Brett McManus. The Minutemen got the run back in the bottom of the second however, and then took their first lead of the game (2-1) in the bottom of the fourth.
Jordan Powell went on to score on a UMass error in the top of the fifth, and Sonny Ulliana followed with a single that plated Heiss for the 3-2 URI advantage. Another UMass error put two more Rhody runs on the board in the top of the sixth as Matt Daller and Xavier Vargas both scored to make it a 5-2 game.
Massachusetts cut it to 5-3 in the bottom of the sixth, but Powell used an 8th-inning RBI single to push across Austin White for the eventual 6-3 win.
Inside the Box Scores
- Freshman Xavier Vargas singled, doubled, scored a run, drove in two, was walked twice and hit by a pitch once over the course of the doubleheader.
- Freshman Austin White combined for a pair of singles, two runs scored and two stolen bases. He also was hit by a pitch in each game.
- Freshman Jackson Coutts singled in each game to extend his team-leading reached-base streak to 20 consecutive games. He also scored a run in Game 1 and drove one in in Game 2.
- Junior Kevin Heiss followed his 1-for-4 performance in Game 1 with a single, a walk, three stolen bases and two runs scored in Game 2.
- Sophomore Sonny Ulliana went 2-for-5 with an RBI in the second game.
- Junior Brett McManus combined for a single, a double and an RBI. He now has eight hits - including two doubled and a triple - and eight RBI in Rhody's last eight games.
- Redshirt freshman Max Mircovich entered Game 1 as an eighth-inning pinch runner and went on to score the third run of the day for the Rams.
- Senior Jordan Powell singled, walked, drove in a run, scored one of his own and stole three bases on the afternoon.
- Freshman Matt Daller doubled and scored a run for the Rams.
- Redshirt senior starter Taso Stathopoulos earned the win in Game 1, allowing just one run - which was unearned - over five innings of work. He gave up six hits, walked one and recorded one strikeout.
- Sophomore Vitaly Jangols threw three innings of scoreless relief in the opener, striking out three with no walks and just two hits allowed.
- Senior Nick Johnson closed out Game 1 with a no-hit ninth for his second save of the season.
- Redshirt junior Tyler Wilson earned his first win of the year in Game 2, allowing three runs (two earned) on six hits. He struck out three and issued just one walk.
- Redshirt junior Cam LaFleur relieved Wilson and earned the nine-out save in Game 2. He did not allow a hit through three complete innings, en route to his first save of the season.
Rhode Island is back in action on Tuesday night at Boston College. First pitch is set for 5:30 p.m.