Rhode Island Lineup
White (CF), Heiss (SS), Coutts (DH), Mircovich (RF), Vargas (1B), Cavaliere (LF), Brodeur (2B), Ulliana (C), Hill (3B), Cherry (P)
MacKenzie (SS), Bardwell (C), Melendez (RF), Labella (1B), Tarabek (3B), Vazquez (2B), Guercio (CF), Semo (DH), Baker (LF), Stankiewicz (P)
How It Happened
Redshirt senior Dom Grillo gave Rhode Island a big boost out of the bullpen and URI used a four-run rally in the sixth inning to pave the way for a 5-3 win over Fordham Saturday.
Trailing 2-1, Rhode Island (9-13, 3-2 Atlantic 10) scored four runs in the bottom of the sixth. All of the runs came across with two outs in the frame. Greg Cavaliere reached on an error with one out, and advanced to second on a wild pitch. Sonny Ulliana singled to right field to drive in Cavaliere and tie the score. Laurence Hill followed with a triple to right field that allowed Ulliana to score, giving Rhody its first lead of the series at 3-2. Austin White was then dealt a four-pitch walk to put runners on the corners, and Kevin Heiss singled to bring Hill home. White capped the rally by scoring when Jackson Coutts reached on Fordham's second error of the inning.
Grillo scattered five hits and allowed just one run through five strong innings out of the bullpen. He struck out three and did not walk a batter.
Fordham (16-11, 3-2 A-10) got one run back in the top of the seventh but Tyler Brosius pitched 1.2 innings of scoreless relief to nail down the victory for Rhode Island.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt junior Tyler Brosius picked up his second save of the season. He retired four straight batters, recording five outs in the process. Brosius needed just one pitch to end the eighth inning with a 6-4-3 double play.
- Junior Sonny Ulliana had a big day at the plate, hitting a solo home run and an RBI single. He also scored a run.
- Redshirt senior Laurence Hill and senior Kevin Heiss also had multi-hit games. Hill tripled, singled, scored once and drove in a run. Heiss singled twice, walked, had one RBI and stole a base.
- Freshman Austin White singled, walked and scored a run.
- Rhode Island was 5-for-14 with two outs, good for a .357 average in the situation.
The teams will play the rubber game of the series Saturday afternoon.