Watch Live: Ocean State Networks (ch. 5/1005 HD) - Eric Frede / Abu Bakr
Listen Live - B101 (101.5
FM) - Steve McDonald / Don Kaull
The Beltone Hearing Aid Centers Rams Radio Network
Gamenotes: Rhode Island/Norfolk State (pdf)
RHODE ISLAND VS. NORFOLK STATE - ALL-TIME SERIES
- This marks the first time that Rhode Island and Norfolk State have met on the hardwood.
- It is the second time Rhode Island has faced a MEAC opponent (12/28/91 - 73-59 win over North Carolina A&T).
RHODE ISLAND WELCOMES THE START OF THE DAN HURLEY ERA
- On March 21, Rhode Island introduced Dan Hurley as the 19th head coach in program history.
- ESPN.com, CBSSports.com, and Athlon Sports all ranked the move as one of the top offseason hires in the country.
- Hurley came to Kingston after two successful seasons at Wagner College in Staten Island.
- He guided Wagner to a school-record 25 wins and a 15-3 mark in Northeast Conference play in 2011-12.
- In two seasons with the Seahawks, he compiled a 38-23 overall record.
- Hurley spent nine seasons as the head coach at St. Benedict's Prep in Newark, N.J., compiling a 223-21 record.
RHODE ISLAND IN SEASON OPENERS
- In its 106 previous season openers, Rhode Island has posted an outstanding 84-22 (.792) winning percentage.
- The Rams have won eight of their last 10 season openers, but have dropped their last two.
- Last season, the Rams fell 92-90 in overtime at George Mason on Nov, 11, 2011.
RHODE ISLAND IN HOME OPENERS
- From Lippitt Hall, Rodman Hall, Keaney Gymnasium, sometimes the Providence Civic Center, and now to the Thomas M. Ryan Center, URI teams have posted an 94-12 (.887) record its first home game of the season.
- Last year, Rhody picked up an 85-73 win over Hofstra in last year's home opener on Nov. 25, 2011.
RHODE ISLAND AT THE THOMAS M. RYAN CENTER - 10TH ANNIVERSARY
- This year marks the 10th anniversary of the Ryan Center - the home of URI men's and women's basketball.
- URI holds a 103-53 (.660) regular season record in the Ryan Center since the arena opened for play on Nov. 26, 2002 with a 73-71 victory over USC.
- Last season's victory over Hofstra on Nov. 25, 2011 was the 100th on the Ryan Center floor.
- The Rams have won 11 or more home games on five occasions - including a program-record 15 in 2009-10.
RHODE ISLAND IN IN-SEASON TOURNAMENTS
- Dating back to the 1949-50 season, Rhode Island is 62-65 (.488) all-time in in-season tournaments.
- Last season, the Rams were 1-3 in the TicketCity Legends Classic, beating Hofstra and dropping games to Texas, Boston University and Cleveland State.
- Rhody went 1-1 at the UCF Holiday Classic, beating James Madison before losing to host UCF.
TODAY'S RHODE ISLAND BASKETBALL FACT(S) YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT
- Today's Theme: Season Openers
- Dating back to the 1905-06 - the first in which Rhode Island featured a head men's basketball coach - the Rams are 12-6 all-time in "program debuts" by a new coach.
- Phil Wessels (1905-06), George Cobb (1910-11), Jim Baldwin (1915-16), Fred Murray (1919-20), Frank Keaney (1920-21), Jack Guy (1952-53), Claude English (1980-81), Brendan Malone (1984-85), Tom Penders (1986-87), Al Skinner (1988-89), and Jim Harrick (1997-98) each won their debut as the head coach of Rhode Island.
- Today (Nov. 9) marks the second-earliest calendar date to start a season - the earliest came during the 2010-11 season, when URI opened up at Pittsburgh on Nov. 8.