Mar 09, 2018
Rhode Island Starters
Matthews, Dowtin, Robinson, Terrell, Berry
Jenkins, Tillman, Mobley, Williams, Vann
How it Happened
It was a battle of the Rams as Rhode Island was able to break away with a 76-67 victory over VCU in the quarterfinals of the Atlantic 10 Championship.
VCU (18-15) jumped out to a quick 8-4 lead after a steal and fast break dunk by De'Riante Jenkins at 16:53. Rhode Island answered with a 17-5 run to open up a 21-13 lead at the midway point of the period. The Rams of VCU then went on an 8-3 run of their own to get back within three at 24-21. After back-to-back Rhody turnovers, VCU was able to tie things up at 25 apiece with 4:24 on the clock
The last three minutes of the half was back and forth. On VCU's final possession, Rhody's defense forced a shot clock violation before a buzzer-beating 3-pointer by Fatts Russell sent URI into the locker room up 36-33.
After the break, Rhody (24-6) pushed its lead to six on a 3-pointer by Jared Terrell with 12:34 remaining. However VCU chipped its way back once again, this time using a 7-0 run to go up 53-52 with 11:12 on the clock. VCU's Jonathan Williams then tied the score at 55 before Rhody closed with a 21-12 run - including eight consecutive makes from the line in the final minute - to seal the 76-67 victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Jeff Dowtin scored a team-high 18 points on 7-of-10 shooting from the field. He connected on 3-of-4 from long range and added four assists and four rebounds.
- Freshman Fatts Russell added 11 points, nine of which came on key 3-pointers. He also added two steals and two assists on the afternoon.
- Senior Jared Terrell recorded 16 points, marking the 27th time this season he scores in double figures. He also added three rebounds, three steals and two assists.
- Senior Andre Berry went 4-of-5 from the field, contributing nine points while adding seven rebounds in a limited 20 minutes due to foul trouble.
- Redshirt senior E.C. Matthews added 11 points, six rebounds and one block.
- Redshirt senior Stanford Robinson filled the stat sheet once again, registering eight rebounds, seven points, three assists and two steals.
- Senior Jarvis Garrett had five assists and two rebounds in eight minutes off the bench.
- Sophomore Cyril Langevine saw limited time due to foul trouble, but managed to grab five rebounds and added two points in nine minutes of play.
- Justin Tillman scored a game-high 23 points for VCU, going 8-of-14 from the field.
- After shooting just 37.5 percent from the free throw line in the first half, Rhode Island hit 8-of-11 attempts (72.7 percent) from the charity stripe in the second half.
- Rhode Island scored 13 points off of VCU's 14 turnovers.
- The game featured 11 lead changes and seven ties.
- The win was the 1500th all time for the Rhode Island men's basketball program.
Rhode Island returns to Capital One Arena for tomorrow's semifinal matchup against either No. 4 Saint Joseph's. Tipoff will be at 1 p.m. on CBS Sports Network.