Harris, Russell, Langevine, Dowtin, Thompson
Haslam, McGill, Davis, Martin, Supica
How It Happened
Rhode Island used a balanced offense and stifling defense to knock off Charlotte, 75-61 on the second day of the Diamond Head Classic in Honolulu Sunday.
Rhode Island (6-4) never trailed in the contest. The Rams jumped out quick, opening the game with a 9-0 run while holding Charlotte scoreless for the first 3:25. Rhody built its lead to as many as 20 points twice, but the 49ers used a 9-0 spurt to help get themselves back to single digits at 37-28 by halftime.
Charlotte (3-7) continued to chip away in the second half, getting the Rhode Island lead down to five points on several occasions. However, the Rams responded each time. After Charlotte pulled within 58-53 with 5:05 to go, Rhody went on a 13-0 run to put the game away. Fatts Russell led the charge, scoring eight points during the spurt, as he converted a three-point play, hit a 3-point shot and made a pair of free throws.
The lead remained in double digits the rest of the way.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt junior Christion Thompson had 12 points, six rebounds, a career-high five blocks and two assists. It was the second time this season he has blocked four shots in a game.
- Thompson and junior Cyril Langevine combined for nine blocked shots. The nine blocks tied the Diamond Head Classic record by a team in one game.
- Sophomore Fatts Russell led the Rams with 20 points, and he is averaging 23.0 points per game so far in the tournament. He added four assists and two steals.
- Russell was 8-for-8 at the free throw line. As a team, the Rams were 23-for-27, good for 85.2 percent.
- Junior Jeff Dowtin scored 15 points, dished out five assists and had two steals. He has scored in double digits in every game this season.
- Junior Cyril Langevine finished with 13 points, 11 rebounds and four blocked shots. It was his seventh double-double of the season.
- Rhody's freshman class had an impact on the game, combining for 15 points and nine rebounds. Jermaine Harris scored seven points and grabbed three rebounds. Tyrese Martin had four points and four rebounds. Omar Silverio had two points, one assist and one steal in eight productive minutes, while Dana Tate had two points and two boards.
- Rhode Island scored 25 points off turnovers, including 14 in the first half.
- Mailk Martin, the younger brother of former Ram Hassan Martin, led Charlotte with 16 points and six rebounds.
Rhody will take on Hawaii on Christmas Day in the fifth-sixth place game of the Diamond Head Classic. Game time will be 3 p.m. EST on ESPNU.