Jan 11, 2019
- Sunday's game will be the ninth all-time between Rhode Island and George Mason.
- Rhode Island leads the series, 5-3.
- The Rams have won five in a row against George Mason, including an 83-64 victory last season.
- In last season's meeting, Rhody had 24 assists on 32 field goals. Jeff Dowtin had nine points and eight assists.
- Rhode Island is 3-2 against George Mason at the Ryan Center. The Patriots won their first two visits to Kingston, taking a 92-90 overtime victory on Oct. 11, 2011, and then a 55-52 win on Nov. 28, 2012.
- Three of the five meetings at the Ryan Center have been decided by three points or less. However, Rhode Island has won the last two games by 18 points (81-63 on Feb. 9, 2016) and 19 points (83-64 last season), respectively.
- George Mason ranks third in the conference in 3-point shooting, hitting .332 from deep as a team. Rhode Island is second in the Atlantic 10 in defending 3-pointers, allowing opponents to make just .290 from the arc.
FIVE ASSISTS EQUALS ONE VICTORY (USUALLY)
- Junior Jeff Dowtin had five assists in Wednesday's win at Richmond, his 30th career game with five or more.
- Rhode Island is 26-4 when Dowtin has five or more assists, including a 4-1 mark this season.
- The lone loss came at Saint Louis, when he had six assists in a 60-53 defeat.
- Dowtin now has 317 assists for his career, which ranks 11th in program history.
- He needs five more to tie Preston Murphy (1995-99) for 10th place in program history.
- Dowtin had nine assists in the season opener against Bryant, his seventh career game with nine or more.
- Rhode Island is 6-1 when Dowtin has nine or more assists. The lone loss was to Duke in the 2018 NCAA Championship. Last season, he tied for second nationally with a 4.40 assist-to-turnover ratio.
- From 2016-17 through 2017-18, he was the only Division I player with 250+ assists and fewer than 65 turnovers.
- Ten times over the last two seasons, Dowtin has played at least 30 minutes without turning the ball over.
- The Rams are 49-17 with Dowtin in the starting lineup, and 8-6 with him coming off the bench.
- Dowtin has led the Atlantic 10 in assist-turnover ratio in conference play in each of the last two seasons.
TATE BRINGING PLUS EFFORT
- The impact of freshman Dana Tate has increased of late, as he is averaging 10.0 points and 7.3 rebounds over his last three games.
- On the season, Tate has a plus-minus of +8.63 per 40 minutes, the top prorated plus-minus on the team.
- In Wednesday's win at Richmond, Tate was +13 in 22:18.
- Over his last six games, Tate is shooting .586 from the floor (17-of-29), including 7-of-12 from 3-point range.
- In the first eight games of the year, he shot .333 overall (9-for-27) and was 0-for-5 from the arc.
- Tate has also hit the glass harder of late, averaging 7.3 rebounds over the last three contests.
BALL MOVEMENT MORE PREVALENT LATELY
- As a team, Rhode Island has had 10 or more assists in five straight games.
- In the first nine games of the year, the Rams had 10 or more assists four times.
- Over the last seven games, sophomore Fatts Russell is averaging 4.83 assists per game, while junior Jeff Dowtin is getting 4.57 per contest.
- As a team, the Rams are shooting .433 from the floor, well above the team's .415 percentage for the year.