Game Book - PDF
HOW IT HAPPENED
Rhode Island (0-1) was dominated on both sides of the ball in its season opener as Monmouth (1-1) defeated the Rams 41-6 Saturday afternoon.
After giving up a touchdown on Monmouth's opening possession, the Rams got a 22-yard-field goal from Dylan Smith to make the score 7-3 with 6:01 remaining in the first quarter. From there, the Hawks scored the next 31 points.
The win snapped an eight-game losing streak at home for Monmouth, while extending Rhode Island's road losing streak to eight games.
- Junior wide receiver Ramadan Abdullah set new career bests with seven catches for 87 yards.
- Senior wide receiver Brandon Johnson-Farrell moved into fifth place in Rhode Island for career receptions. Johnson-Farrell had six receptions, giving him 152 for his career. He passed Tony DiMaggio (149) for fifth place.
- Punter Tim Wienclaw – also a starter on defense – averaged 46 yards per punt on five attempts. He had a long of 57 yards, and also placed a pair of punts inside the 20-yard line.
- Senior defensive end Manee Williams had five tackles, including two for a loss. He had the lone Rhode Island sack of the day.
- Sophomore linebacker Andrew Bose had eight tackles and a fumble recovery. The fumble was caused by free safety Clement Ani.
STAT OF THE DAY
Monmouth scored on six of its first seven possessions, with five of the drives ending in touchdowns.
Rhode Island opens its CAA Football slate when it visits Villanova on Saturday, Sept. 15. Kickoff is scheduled for 3:30 p.m.