How It Happened
Rhode Island was in position to drive for the winning score, but a late turnover sealed the win for No. 14/15 Elon as the Phoenix escaped Kingston with a 35-34 victory over the Rams Saturday afternoon.
Sophomore Myles Ross intercepted the ball in Rhode Island's end zone to thwart a scoring chance for Elon with 3:59 remaining, giving the Rams (1-6, 0-4 CAA Football) the ball at their own 20-yard line. Redshirt junior JaJuan Lawson connected with Khayri Denny for 13 yards and Isaiah Coulter for 9 yards to move the ball to the Rhody 42. Back-to-back passes to Marven Beauvais picked up 25 more yards, and the Rams had first-and-10 at the Elon 33.
On second-and-10, Lawson and Denny connected again for 12 yards, and a Lawson 4-yard run got the Rams in the red zone.
However, on third-and-6 from the Elon 17, Warren Messer came up with an interception with 28 seconds left, clinching the sixth straight win for Elon (6-1, 4-0 CAA Football).
Inside the Box Score
- Before the game, a moment of silence was held to honor former Rhode Island player Jordan Sebastian, who died of cancer Thursday. Sebastian played 40 games for the Rams from 2011-15.
- Redshirt junior JaJuan Lawson played well in his first career start. He was 20-of-34 for 252 yards, two touchdowns and one interception. He also rushed for a team-best 80 yards.
- The completions, attempts, passing yards and rushing yards were all career bests for Lawson.
- Freshman wide receiver Matt Pires set a program record with his 90-yard punt return for a touchdown late in the third quarter. It broke the previous long return of 86 yards by Raji El-Amin against Merrimack on Sept. 9, 2006.
- It was Rhode Island's first punt return for a score since the one by El-Amin, covering a span of 127 games.
- Sophomore wide receiver sensation Aaron Parker extended his program-record streak of touchdown catches to nine games. He finished the game with five catches for 68 yards and the touchdown.
- Redshirt junior Marven Beauvais led the team with five catches for 76 yards and a touchdown. He has scored three touchdowns over the last two games.
- Senior T.J. Anderson had his first career two-touchdown game, scoring on runs of 23 yards and 1 yard in the first quarter.
- Junior wide receiver Khayri Denny had five catches for 48 yards, while freshman Isaiah Coulter had three grabs for 25 yards.
- Junior linebacker Justin Hogan and sophomore cornerback Rashod Dickerson led the team with nine tackles each.
- Sophomore Myles Ross had his second interception of the season.
- Redshirt senior Mike Ezirike had four tackles, including a 9-yard sack.
- Sophomore Adriel A. Miller made his first career start, lining up at left guard.
- The game captain was senior defensive back Hayden Pryor and the anchor bearer was redshirt junior wide receiver Marven Beauvais.
- Rhode Island's RECON-RAM Players of the Week were redshirt freshman defensive back Malik Gavek and freshman offensive lineman Max Osgood.
- The Homecoming crowd of 7,221 was Rhode Island's largest of the season.
Rhode Island is back on the road to face Albany on Saturday, Oct. 28. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.