How It Happened
No. 22/23 Rhode Island (4-3, 2-2 CAA Football) had no answers for No. 18/17 Stony Brook Saturday night, falling 52-14 in a crucial conference game.
Stony Brook (6-2, 4-1 CAA Football) rushed for 354 yards and five touchdowns. The Seawolves added a pair of touchdowns through the air and scored touchdowns on five consecutive possessions - not including a couple of kneel downs at the end of the second quarter.
The Seawolves scored the first 24 points of the night before Rhode Island broke through just before the half. Naim Jones capped the drive with a 1-yard touchdown run. That was as close as it got for the Rams, as Stony Brook scored cruised to the victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior linebacker Branyan Javier-Castillo led Rhode Island with 15 tackles.
- Junior defensive tackle Keith Wells had 10 stops and one tackle for loss, while redshirt sophomore Andre Bibeault had nine stops and one TFL.
- Senior linebacker Nas Jones added eight tackles.
- Rhode Island entered the game averaging 276.2 passing yards per game, but it was held to 62 yards Saturday, including just 8 in the second half.
- Sophmore Justice Antrum ran for a career-best 82 yards, including a long run of 59 yards. Junior Naim Jones rushed for 76 yards and two touchdowns.
- Junior Ahmere Dorsey led the Rams with three catches for 44 yards. He also had 121 kick return yards.
- Redshirt freshman linebacker Jake Fire made his first career start as the Rams opened the game in a 4-4 alignment. On the offensive side, junior Ahmere Dorsey made his first start at running back.
- Rhode Island played without defensive starters D.J. Stewart (safety), Momodou Mbye (safety), Rashod Dickerson (cornerback), Monte Sinisi (defensive tackle), JaJuan Lawson (quarterback) and Zoe Bryant, Jr. (running back) due to injuries.
- Rhode Island fell to 0-6 all time against Stony Brook.
- The anchor bearer was senior tackle Kadin Booker.
- The attendance for the game was 12,701.
Rhode Island hosts William & Mary on Saturday, Oct. 27. Kickoff is set for noon, and the game will be streamed for free on CAA.tv.