Sorlien Memorial Invitational
Rhode Island Rams vs. Connecticut Huskies, Providence Friars, Southern Connecticut State Owls and Stonehill Skyhawks
Mackal FIeldhouse - Kingston, R.I.
The Rhode Island Rams men's track & field team won their first home meet of the season in a big way, taking the top spot at the Sorlien Memorial Invitational.
The Rams finished first with 188 points, followed by Connecticut with 173, Providence with 65, Southern Connecticut State with 62 and Stonehill with 35.
- Rhody took every scoring spot in the 200-meter dash. Led by junior John Stallworth (22.67 seconds) the Rams took the top-seven spaces, with junior Marlon Montague (22.67 seconds) and senior DeAngelo Berry (22.74 seconds) joining Stallworth in the top three.
- Montague also won the 400-meter dash, taking the event in 49.56 seconds. Coming in second in the event was junior Jaleel Felton in 51.25 seconds.
- The Rhode Island team of Marlon Montague, Jared Gray, Max Dickens and Jaleel Felton won the 4x400-meter relay with a time of 3:20.58.
- Freshman Eric Wicks won the high jump in his first collegiate meet with a height of 2.01 meters. Junior Jacob Reilly finished second in the event with 1.96 meters.
- Junior Casey Burley, building off of his Performer-of-the-Week performance from last week, won the long jump with a leap of 7.27 meters and the triple jump with 14.98 meters.
- Along with Burley, sophomore Abdul-Lateef Orulebaja finished in the top three in triple jump, taking silver with 14.59 meters.
- The Rams also had a great showing in the weight throw, taking the first and second-place spots. Junior Brandon Amo took gold with a throw of 17.50 meters, while senior Alex Briggs threw the weight 16.92 meters.
- In the pole vault, senior Ondrej Honka and sophomore Ryan Wilkes finished second and third, respectively. Honka reached a height of 5.05 meters, while Wilkes topped at 4.90 meters.
- The same case occurred in the shot put, with junior Darrik Muroski throwing it 15.13 meters for second and freshman Nicholas White throwing 14.40 meters for third.
- Junior Nigel Hill took third in the finals of the 60-meter dash with a time of 6.96 seconds.
- Senior Jared Gray finished with bronze in the 500-meter run with a time of 1:06.86.
The Rams head to Boston next Saturday, Jan. 28, when they compete in the John Thomas Terrier Classic hosted by Boston University. The meet is scheduled to begin at 10:30 a.m.