KINGSTON, R.I. - The University of Rhode Island men's track & field team had athletes qualify for the finals in both the 400-meter dash and the 4x800-meter relay during day one of the IC4A Indoor Championship in Boston, Mass. on Saturday, Mar. 4.
Marlon Montague moved on to the finals in the 400-meter, while Rock Fortna, Griffin Cobb, Joe DiPalma and Alexander McGrainer kept their weekend alive by qualiflying for the finals in the 4x800-meter.
- The weight throw was the only final event that the Rams competed in on day one. Senior Alex Briggs and junior Brandon Amo took 13-14 in the weight throw, respectively. Briggs had a throw of 55-feet, 2.25-inches (16.82 meters) while Amo had a toss of 54-feet, 4.75-inches (16.58 meters).
- Junior Marlon Montague qualified for the finals of the 400-meter dash by running a prelim time of 48.45 seconds for sixth.
- Freshman Max Dickens also ran the 400-meter prelims, but missed the cut at 49.05 seconds for 17th place.
- The 4x800-meter relay team of Rock Fortna, Griffin Cobb, Joe DiPalma and Alexander McGrainer finished eighth in the prelims with 7:42.03, qualifying them for the finals.
- In the preliminaries of the 60-meter hurdles, junior John Stallworth tied for 10th with a time of 8.22 seconds, sending him to the semi-finals.
- However, in the semi-finals of the 60-meter hurdles later in the day, Stallworth finished 13th with a time of 8.29 seconds, missing the cut for the finals by 0.08 seconds.
- Sophomore Joseph Carter competed in the 200-meter prelims and finished 16th with a time of 21.99 seconds.
The IC4A Indoor Championship finishes up tomorrow, Mar. 5, with the triple jump, the pole vault, the 200-meter finals and the 4x800-meter relay finals. The first event in which Rhody will compete in is scheduled to start at 9:30 a.m.