Melendez, Whittaker, Cloutier, Thomas, Gaspar
May, Miller, Parker, Richards, Carra
Points: Cloutier (34)
Rebounds: Tabakman (8)
Assists: Melendez (2), Straumann (2)
Steals: Cloutier (1), Straumann (1), Wallack (1)
Blocked Shots: Melendez (3)
Minutes Played: Cloutier (34)
Points: Carra (16)
Rebounds: Parker (13)
Assists: Carra (5)
Steals: Parker (4)
Blocked Shots: May (3)
Minutes Played: Parker (36), Carra (36)
How it Happened:
Rhode Island (3-6) trailed by double digits little more than seven minutes into the game as Delaware (4-2) jumped out fast and knocked off the Rams 57-40 Wednesday. Despite playing without All-American Elena Della Donne, the Blue Hens hit eight of their first 14 shots from the floor and never let the the Rams back in the contest.
Inside the Box Score:
- Emilie Cloutier led the Rams with 12 points. She added five rebounds, one steal and one assist.
- Sophomore Megan Straumann scored seven points off the bench. Straumann also had five rebounds, two assists and one steal.
- Freshman Tayra Melendez scored seven points, blocked three shots and had two assists for the Rams.
- Freshman Samantha Tabakman had a team-high eight rebounds and scored four points.
- Rhode Island made just one field goal over the final 8:40 of the first half, a jumper by Melendez with four seconds remaining before the break.
- Delaware hurt the Rams in the paint, scoring 34 of its 57 points close to the basket.
- The Rams scored 16 points in the first half, marking the fourth time this season they have scored less than 20 in a half.
Rhody is back in action Saturday, Dec. 8 when it travels to Maine for the Portland Expo. The Rams and Black Bears tip off at 1 p.m.