Melendez, Whittaker, Cloutier, Thomas, Gaspar
Anderson, Walczak, Roberts, Wood, Heise
Points: Tabakman (23)
Rebounds: Gaspar (10)
Assists: Whittaker (3), Gaspar (3), Straumann (3)
Steals: Whittaker (3)
Blocked Shots: Tabakman (3)
Minutes Played: Gaspar (32)
Points: Roberts (14)
Rebounds: Wood (7)
Assists: Wood (2)
Steals: Wood (2)
Blocked Shots: Wood (2)
Minutes Played: Wood (35)
How it Happened:
Rhode Island trailed 7-4 early on but then used a 10-0 run to move ahead 14-7 by the 11:42 mark. The Rams allowed Maine just two more makes from the field over the remainder of the half, taking a 27-13 lead into the break. The Black Bears opened the second half on a tear, outscoring Rhody 20-11 over the opening 10 minutes and cutting their deficit to five (38-33). However, the Rams pushed their lead back to 10 (44-34) with 6:59 left to play and led by double digits the rest of the way.
Inside the Box Score:
- With the win, Rhode Island improves to 4-6 while Maine drops to 1-8.
- The 51-38 victory marks the third time this season that URI held its opponent to less that 40 points (Houston Baptist-36, Siena-39).
- Freshman Samantha Tabakman led all players with a career-high 23 points on 7-of-11 shooting. She also went 9-for-10 from the free throw line, recorded eight rebounds and blocked three shots on the afternoon.
- Redshirt senior Lara Gaspar finished with a game-high 10 rebounds while adding four points, three assists and a steal.
- Freshman Tayra Melendez added nine points, six rebounds, two assists and a block in 25 minutes on the floor.
- As a team, Rhode Island held a 52-33 rebounding advantage, including a 33-21 edge on the defensive glass.
- The Rams also scored a season high 34 bench points, compared to Maine's six.
- The Black Bears connected on just 4-of-27 (14.8%) attempts over the first 20 minutes, marking Rhode Island's best defensive half so far this season.
- Rhode Island's 14-point halftime lead (27-13) also marked the first time this season that URI led by double digits at the break.
- Ashleigh Roberts netted a team-high 14 points for Maine.
Rhody returns to the Ryan Center to host Rhode Island College on Dec. 16 at 2 p.m. The Rams are 2-0 all-time against RIC, last facing the Division III Anchorwomen in 1978.