Melendez, Thomas, Straumann, Gaspar, Johnson
St. Bonaventure Starters:
Walker, McGee, Reuter, Michael, Healey
Points: Gaspar, Thomas, Straumann (6)
Rebounds: Melendez (8)
Assists: Melendez, Lewis (2)
Steals: Thomas (5)
Blocked Shots: Melendez (2)
Minutes Played: Thomas (36)
St. Bonaventure Leaders:
Points: Walker (16)
Rebounds: Walker (9)
Assists: Rueter (4)
Steals: Rueter, Healy (2)
Blocked Shots: McGee, Reuter, Wilson, Ortega (1)
Minutes Played: Healy (33)
How it Happened:
Lara Gaspar netted back-to-back baskets to put Rhode Island ahead, 9-6, six minutes into the game and the Rams held onto the lead until the 8:51 mark when SBU evened it up at 11-11. Brianna Thomas then hit a long jumper just inside the perimeter to put URI back up by two (13-11) but that was Rhody's final basket of the half as SBU used an 8-0 run over the final eight minutes to take a 19-13 lead into the break.
St. Bonaventure returned from the locker room on a tear, outscoring Rhody 9-2 over the first four minutes and pushing its lead to 13 (28-15). The Bonnies remained in control the rest of the way, leading by eight or more and eventually posting the 48-28 victory.
Inside the Box Score:
- With the loss, Rhode Island drops to 5-14 (0-4) while St. Bonaventure improves to 9-10 (2-2).
- Rhode Island's 28 points marked a season-low for the Rams. It also was St. Bonaventure's best defensive performance this season, and the first time the Bonnies held an opponent under 30 points this year.
- URI managed just 13 points in the first half and 15 in the second, finishing the night 27 percent (11-41) from the field. SBU, meanwhile, connected at a 40-percent clip, going 19-of-47 from the field.
- St. Bonaventure also held a 35-25 rebounding advantage while hitting 9-of-10 attempts from the line. Rhody was 3-4 from the charity stripe with all four attempts coming in the second half.
- Thomas recorded a carere high five steals on the night. Tayra Melendez also matched her career best with eight rebounds.
- The Bonnies played without starting point guard CeCe Dixon. Prior to tonight's game, Dixon had appeared in all but one contest for SBU, averaging 29.5 minutes and 9.6 points per game.
Rhode Island returns to action at George Washington on Sunday, Jan. 27. Tipoff is set for 2 p.m.