Melendez, Bullard, Thomas, Gaspar, Johnson
Roxas, Williams, Kabengano, Thames, Macauley
Points: Thomas (12)
Rebounds: Melendez (6)
Assists: Bullard (4)
Steals: Whittaker (3)
Blocked Shots: Melendez, Bullard, Johnson, Tabakman (1)
Minutes Played: Bullard (31)
Points: Kabengano (14)
Rebounds: Macauley (10)
Assists: Williams (5)
Steals: Williams (5)
Blocked Shots: Macauley (6)
Minutes Played: Williams (40)
How it Happened:
Using a balanced offense in which five different players scored at least four points, Rhode Island battled Temple throughout the first half. However, the Rams (5-18, 0-8 A-10) could not overcome a five-point halftime deficit and lost at Temple 56-45 in an afternoon game Wednesday.
Temple (12-12, 5-4 A-10) used a significant advantage at the free throw line to establish its lead, hitting 15-of-19 from the line for the day, including 8-for-9 in the first half. Rhode Island, by contrast, had just three free throw attempts, in the first half and was 4-of-7 for the game.
Rhody trailed 39-38 with 8:53 remaining, but the Owls went on a 12-1 run to put the game out of reach.
Inside the Box Score:
- Freshman Brianna Thomas was the lone Ram to score in double figures, finishing with 12 points. She added five rebounds and one steal.
- Junior Kerry Wallack scored all seven of her points in the first half. She also had four rebounds and two assists.
- Both teams played a relatively clean first half. Rhode Island committed just six fouls and seven turnovers, while Temple had just three team fouls and seven turnovers before the break.
- Freshman Tayra Melendez scored six points, grabbed six rebounds and had two steals.
- Temple was led by Victoria Macauley, who dominated the paint. Macauley had a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds to go with six blocked shots.
- Macauley, Sally Kabengano and Tyonna Williams combined to score 39 of Temple's 56 points.
Rhode Island visits Xavier Sunday, Feb. 17. Game time is 2 p.m.