Melendez, Cloutier, Bullard, Thomas, Tabakman
Henry, Cloutier, Timbilla, Mital, Watson
Points: Melendez (13)
Rebounds: Cloutier (11)
Assists: Bullard, Whittaker (3)
Steals: Whittaker, Cloutier, Tabakman, Bullard (1)
Blocked Shots: Melendez, Tabakman (2)
Minutes Played: Cloutier (36)
Points: Timbilla, Harris (14)
Rebounds: Timbilla (11)
Assists: Henry (3)
Steals: Henry, Cloutier (2)
Blocked Shots: Watson (3)
Minutes Played: Timbilla (32)
How it Happened:
In a first half that featured six lead changes and three ties, Rhode Island (6-19, 1-9) closed out the frame on a 10-3 run to take a 26-18 lead into the locker room. Massachusetts (3-22, 1-9) returned from the break and slowly chipped away at the lead, eventually knotting things up at 31-31 after eight minutes of play. The Minutewomen then pushed ahead and took a 36-33 lead but Rhody responded with a 7-0 run to reclaim the lead and remained on top the rest of the way.
Inside the Box Score:
- The victory ended a 13-game slide for the Rams. It also snapped URI's 27-game losing streak in Atlantic 10 competition, dating back to Feb. 13, 2011.
- For the fourth game in a row, Rhode Island started four freshmen - Tayra Melendez, Symone Bullard, Brianna Thomas and Samantha Tabakman.
- Rhode Island took a six-point lead (24-18) into the break. It marked the first time Rhody had outscored its opponent - in any half - since Jan. 16, when URI led Charlotte, 29-28, halftime.
- URI out-rebounded UMass, 52-38. The 52 boards matched the team's season high, set back in December against Maine.
- Emilie Cloutier led the team on the glass with a career-best 11 rebounds.
- Tayra Melendez netted a team-high 13 points. She has now scored in double figured in 14 of the team's 25 games and has been Rhody's top scorer 11 times. She also blocked two shots, had one steal and zero turnovers in 33 minutes on the floor.
- Symone Bullard and Teneka Whittaker dished out three assists each.
- Rashida Timbilla led Massachusetts with 14 points and 11 rebounds. Jasmine Harris also netted 14 points for the Minutewomen.
The Rams return to the Ryan Center on Thursday night when they host Fordham at 7 p.m. All fans are encored to wear pink to help raise breast cancer awareness.