Melendez, Wallack, Banker, Lewis, Tabakman
Dotson, Smith, Wright, Dempsey, Miller
Points: Wallack (17)
Rebounds: Tabakman (11)
Assists: Tabakman, Thomas, Banker (2)
Steals: Thomas (2)
Blocked Shots: four players (1)
Minutes Played: Banker (32)
Points: Miller (16)
Rebounds: Smith (5)
Assists: Smith (3)
Steals: Smith (5)
Blocked Shots: Miller, Smith (1)
Minutes Played: Smith (34)
How it Happened:
Rhode Island (1-6) battled the high-power Florida Atlantic offense tough, but could not keep pace in a 78-62 loss in the championship game of the FAU Thanksgiving Tournament Saturday.
The Rams outplayed FAU (6-2) in the opening half, taking a 39-36 edge into the break. Rhody used its size to establish an edge on the boards, outrebounding the Owls 25-16 in the opening 20 minutes. The URI defense also held the fast-paced FAU offense without a fast break point in the game.
FAU was able to wear Rhode Island down late, taking a 50-48 lead on an old-fashioned three-point play by Takia Brook with 14:32 to go. FAU never relinquished the lead from there.
Inside the Box Score:
- Sophomore Samantha Tabakman recorded her first career double-double, finishing with 15 points and 11 rebounds.
- Senior Kerry Wallack scored a season high, finishing with 17 points and four rebounds. Wallack also earned all-tournament honors for the Rams.
- Sophomore Tayra Melendez scored 10 points and made both of her 3-point attempts.
- The FAU defense pressured Rhode Island into 27 turnovers, leading to 24 points for the Owls.
- This marked just the second time in eight games FAU has been held under 80 points. The Owls have broken 100 points twice this season.
- FAU attempted 24 free throws, compared to 16 for the Rams. Both teams were strong at the line, as Rhody made 81.3 percent and FAU shot 79.2 percent.
- For the game, Rhode Island had a 42-27 edge in rebounds.
Rhody returns to the Ocean State to play at in-state rival Brown Wednesday, Dec. 4. Game time is 7 p.m.