Wallack, Whittaker, Thomas, Johnson, Tabakman
Williams, Parks, Robinson, Thorpe, Royster
Points: Tabakman (17)
Rebounds: Tabakman (6)
Assists: Thomas (4)
Steals: Lewis (2)
Blocked Shots: Tabakman, Cooper (1)
Minutes Played: Wallack (35)
Points: Parks (18)
Rebounds: Royster (6)
Assists: Alaeze (4)
Steals: Pellechio (4)
Blocked Shots: Royster (4)
Minutes Played: Robinson (25)
How it Happened:
Rhode Island (7-19, 2-11 A-10) struggled to find any offensive rhythm as it fell to VCU 70-44 Saturday.
Rhody shot just 16-of-49 from the floor – including 2-for-14 from 3-point range – and 55.6 percent (10-of-18) at the free throw line. URI also committed 21 turnovers, which led to 27 points for VCU.
VCU (19-7, 7-6 A-10) steadily increased its lead throughout the game, going ahead by as many as 31 points. After being held to two points in the first half, Robyn Parks, the Atlantic 10's leading scorer, scored 16 after the break and finished with a game-high 18 points in just 20 total minutes.
Inside the Box Score:
- In the first half, Rhode Island had 17 points and 14 turnovers.
- Sophomore Samantha Tabakman led Rhode Island with 17 points. She added seven rebounds.
- Junior Sydney Lewis was 6-for-10 from the floor and had 12 points with eight rebounds.
- Freshman Dempsey Cooper played a career-high 17 minutes.
- VCU's bench outscored Rhode Island's bench 27-13.
- VCU had a 27-7 advantage in points off turnovers.
- VCU had 20 second-chance points to just 11 for Rhody.
Stat of the Game:
9 – Saturday's game marked the ninth time this season Rhode Island has been held to less than 50 points in a game.
Rhody heads to Saint Louis for a contest Wednesday, Feb. 19. Game time is 8 p.m. Eastern Time.