Ross, Wilson, M. Johnson, Ward, Motrechuk
Ovener, Miley, Leblanc-Florent, Vonleh, Ovner
How It Happened
Sophomore Dina Motrechuk dominated the paint to lead Rhode Island to a 61-43 victory over Bridgeport in an exhibition game Monday night. Motrechuck led all scorers with 20 points and added a game-high 15 rebounds. Her presence was a major reason the Rams held a decisive 52-41 edge in rebounds.
After a sluggish start shooting the ball, Rhode Island picked up the pace in the third quarter, shooting 47.1 percent (8-for-17) from the floor. The Rams steadily increased their lead throughout the night.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Dina Motrechuk had more points and rebounds Monday night than she had in 19 games combined a year ago. The Staten Island, N.Y. native was 7-for-10 from the floor and a sparkling 6-for-7 at the free throw line.
- She added three steals and one blocked shot.
- Junior Charise Wilson had seven points, six assists and four steals, while classmate Dominique Ward added six points and three rebounds.
- Sophomore Jalissa Ross had six rebounds, three assists and two steals.
- Rhode Island's bench contributed 21 points. Freshman Nicole Jorgensen had five points, four rebounds and one steal in 10 minutes. Junior Tyler Raysor and sophomore Amari Johnson added four points each.
- Rhode Island forced 23 turnovers that led to 17 points.
- Rhody had a 36-14 advantage on points in the paint.
Stat of the Game
11 – Eleven different players scored for Rhode Island.
Rhode Island officially opens the season when it travels to play at No. 13/14 Syracuse Friday afternoon. Game time is 3 p.m.