Ross, Wilson, M. Johnson, Ward, A. Johnson
Davis, Holden, Padovano, Burns, Missry
How It Happened
After a back-and-forth first half, Fordham (11-5, 2-0 A-10) returned from the break and used an 11-2 run to open up a 10-point (45-35) lead in the third quarter. Rhode Island (4-10, 0-2 A-10) eventually cut its deficit to four - after a basket by Charise Wilson made it 57-53 with 7:32 remaining in regulation - but URI was unable to get any closer.
Fordham responded with a 9-2 push to go up by 11 (66-55) - its largest lead of the game - with 4:05 to go. Rhody continued to chip away - as Wilson rattled in a three that made it 67-72 with 18 seconds to go, and followed with another basket from just inside the arc to make it a four-point game (73-69) with 9.2 ticks left on the clock - but Fordham sealed the 74-69 victory at the line on its next trip down the court.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Charise Wilson netted a game-high 33 points, marking the fourth time this season she scored 30 or more. She also registered five rebounds, four assists and two steals for the Rams.
- Sophomore Dina Motrechuk finished with 12 points - six in each half. It is the sixth time this season she reaches double figures in the scoring column.
- Junior Tyler Raysor contributed six points, three rebounds and one blocked shot.
- Junior Dominique Ward pulled down a team-best seven rebounds while also blocking a pair of shots and scoring four points.
- Rhode Island outscored Fordham in the paint 36-28, but the visiting Rams connected on eight 3-pointers while Rhody had just two - both of which came in the final 56 seconds of the game.
- URI was just 9-of-15 (60.0%) from the free-throw line, marking the 11th time in 14 games the Rams hit 60-percent or less of their free throws.
- The Rhode Island bench outscored Fordham's non-starters 23-13.
- Five different players scored in double figures for Fordham: G'mrice Davis (19), Danielle Burns (18), Hannah Missry (12), Lauren Holden (10) and Tiffany Suarez (10).
- Davis also recorded a game-high 11 rebounds while Burns added 10 boards and seven assists
- Missry was 4-for-9 from long range and registered her 1,000th career point in the first half.
Stats of the Game
- 10/9 – There were 10 ties and nine lead changes in the game, all of which came in the first half.
- 2 - After tying the program record with 13 3-pointers last time out at St. Bonaventure, Rhode Island was just 2-for-15 from three point range this afternoon against Fordham. Both Rhody treys came in the final minute of the game.
Rhode Island returns action on Wednesday night at Massachusetts. Tipoff at the Mullins Center is set for 7 p.m.