Rhode Island Starters
Lassiter, Colome, Ross, Streeter, Jorgensen
Harris, Burdette, Cannatelli, Layfield, Scaife
How it Happened
Dayton's Jayla Scaife poured in 35 points leading the Flyers to a 116-58 victory over Rhode Island Thursday night.
Two 3-pointers from Abby Streeter at 7:45 put Rhody up 6-4, but a 8-0 run by the Flyers gave Dayton a steady lead. Back-to-back buckets by Marta Vargas cut the Dayton lead to 14-13 with 3:42 remaining in the period. However a 16-5 run put the Flyers up 30-18 after the first quarter.
Dayton extended its lead in the second, sinking eight 3-pointers to go into the break up 64-29.
The Flyers dominated the rest of the way as they cruised their way to the program-record 116 point victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Nicole Jorgensen led the Rams with 14 points, seven rebounds, and two assists.
- Freshman Marta Vargas added 13 points, three rebounds, and three assist in 23 minutes off the bench.
Freshman Abby Streeter scored 11 points, going 3-of-5 from the 3-point line.
- The Flyers scored 18 points off of 17 Rhody turnovers.
- Rhode Island's bench outscored Dayton's 30-9. The Flyers dressed just seven players for the game.
- Dayton held the advantage in points in the paint, scoring 32 to Rhode Island's 28.
Stat of the Game
116 - The 116 points by Dayton were the most points given up by Rhode Island since a 119-83 loss to Providence on Dec. 9, 1986.
The Rams continue their road stint facing Davidson Sunday afternoon. Tip is set for 2 p.m.