Ross, Moffitt, Vargas, Streeter, Jorgensen
St. Bonaventure Starters
Calabrese, Harvey, Ruff, Migliore, Maycock
How It Happened
Rhode built a double-digit lead in the second quarter, but a late surge by St. Bonaventure resulted in a loss for the Rams, 77-72, Wednesday night.
Rhode Island (3-25, 1-14 Atlantic 10) opened the game with a 15-3 run, as the Ram defense held St. Bonaventure without a field goal for the first 7:19 of the quarter. Rhody led 19-10 by the end of the period, backed by Nicole Jorgensen. She outscored the Bonnies be herself in the quarter, 11-10.
St. Bonaventure (8-20, 2-12 A-10) got its offense on track in the second quarter, but the Bonnies did not make up much ground. St. Bonaventure scored 12 points in the quarter, while the Rams had 11, giving Rhody an eight-point lead at the break.
Rhode Island led by eight points with 58 seconds to go in the third quarter, but the Bonnies scored the final five points of the period. The final three came on a half-court heave by Danielle Migliore at the buzzer to end the quarter 51-48.
The momentum carried over into the fourth, when St. Bonaventure opened on a 10-2 run to pull ahead by seven points at 62-55 with 5:18 to go. Rhode Island managed to cut the lead to two on a layup by Marta Vargas with 2:27 to go. That was as close as the Rams got.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Nicole Jorgensen recorded her ninth double-double of the season, finishing with 27 points and 13 rebounds.
- It was her seventh straight game with at least 12 points.
- Freshman Abby Streeter added 16 points, including 3-of-6 from 3-point range.
- Freshman Marta Vargas had 12 points, four rebounds and two assists.
- St. Bonaventure had five players in double figures. Mariah Ruff led the way with 20. Arielle Harvey had 15, Danielle Migliore scored 14, Jalisha Terry had 12 and Emily Calabrese added 10.
- The Bonnies' bench outscored Rhode Island's, 18-7.
- St. Bonaventure was 26-of-30 at the free throw line. Rhode Island was 14-of-20.
Stat of the Game
1 – There was only one lead change and one tie in the game. The lone tie came at 51-51 five seconds into the fourth quarter. The only lead change happened 50 seconds later, when the St. Bonaventure's Mariah Ruff hit a 3-pointer to put the Bonnies up, 54-51.
Rhode Island closes out the regular season with a game at Massachusetts Saturday, Feb. 24.