Rhode Island Starters
Colome, Ross, Dale, Moffitt, Jorgensen
Holy Cross Starters
LaBarbera, Swords, Smith, Pedi, Manis
How it Happened
The Rams lost a battle with Holy Cross Wednesday afternoon, falling 73-65 to the Crusaders.
The Rams started the game on a 7-2 run - backed by five points from Davida Dale - and went into the first media timeout up 9-8. A 3-pointer by Avery LaBarbera gave the Crusaders their first lead, 11-9. Nicole Jorgensen made three consecutive baskets to put the Rams up 15-11, but Holy Cross was able to close out the quarter up 22-18 after a trey from Madalyn Smith.
Rhody outscored Holy Cross 19-10 in the second and after back-to-back layups by Dina Motrechuk the Rams gained the 31-29 lead with 4:36 left in the half. Erin Jones scored two baskets in the final minute of the half to lead the Rams 37-32 into the break.
Rhody was able to jump to a 7-4 start in the third, but a 3-ball by Nicole Morris put the Crusaders within one (45-44). Holy Cross then used a 9-5 run to end the period up 54-49.
The Crusaders capitalized on back to back turnovers by the Rams in the fourth and scored seven unanswered points to go up 67-58 with 4:27 remaining to play. A layup by Jalissa Ross cut the deficit to four points (69-65) but the Rams couldn't stop the Crusader offense as they closed out the game scoring four points for the final of 73-65.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt junior Elemy Colome scored a team-high 17 points, her third double-digit scoring effort of the year. She added six rebounds.
- Redshirt sophomore Davida Dale had 12 points, seven rebounds, four assists and two steals.
- She has had two steals in every game this season.
- Junior Nicole Jorgensen scored 13 points and grabbed eight rebounds.
- Senior Dina Motrechuk gave the team a big boost off the bench. She scored six points on 3-of-4 shooting, blocked two shots, had two rebounds and one steal in 14 minutes.
- Redshirt sophomore Erin Jones played a career-high 21 minutes off the bench, contributing six points, two rebounds and one steal.
- Rhode Island had 37 points in the first half, the most the Rams have had by halftime in a game this season.
- The Rams took great care of the basketball in the first half, committing just four miscues. Unfortunately, Rhody had 12 after halftime.
The Rams return home to host North Dakota on Tuesday, Nov. 27. Tip-off is set for 7:00 p.m.