Jan 23, 2019
RHODE ISLAND VS. FORDHAM - SERIES NOTES
- Thursday's game will be the 38th meeting all-time between the two schools.
- Rhody holds a slight edge in the series, 19-18, however Fordham has won four of the last five contests.
- The Rams of the Bronx defeated Rhode Island 75-53 in the first round of the Atlantic 10 Tournament last year. They also took the 76-64 victory in a regular season contest on Feb. 4, 2018.
- The last Rhody win came on Feb. 15, 2015. Rhode Island had the 71-56 win at the Ryan Center.
- The first meeting between Rhode Island and Fordham was Feb. 20, 1981. Rhody came out with the 72-39 victory in the legendary Rose Hill Gym.
- Bre Cavanaugh leads Fordham with 17.5 points per game and is second on the team in rebounds with 7.2 per contest.
- Cavanaugh is ranked second in the Atlantic 10 in points per game, while Rhode Island's Elemy Colome is sixth with 13.6 points per game.
- Both Fordham and Rhode Island are looking to get back into the win column, as URI is most recently coming off a 74-39 loss at VCU, and Fordham had losses at Dayton (72-50) and against VCU (47-44).
JORGENSEN CLOSING IN ON CAREER MILESTONES
- Rhode Island junior Nicole Jorgensen has 473 career rebounds, just 27 boards away from 500 on her career.
- She needs 140 rebounds to crack the Rhody Top 10.
- As a sophomore, the Quincy, Mass. native had 204 rebounds. She has 119 through 17 games this season.
- Jorgensen leads the Rams and is seventh in the Atlantic 10 averaging 7.0 boards per game.
- Jorgensen is also less than 200 points away from scoring 1,000 on her career.
- With 802 career points, she is just 198 away from the milestone.
- Jorgensen has a chance to be the 22nd Ram in program history to reach 1,000 points.
- The last Ram to do so was Charise Wilson (2014-18) who had 1,428 career points.
MOTRECHUK MAKES THE BLOCK(S)
- With two blocks at VCU last time out, senior Dina Motrechuk is now tied for fourth in Rhode Island history with 122 career blocks.
- Motrechuk is knotted with Barbara Walton who had the 122 stops from 1976-79.
She needs 138 to catch Naomi Graves (1978-82), who ranks first all-time with 259 total blocks.
- Motrechuk has 22 blocks in 15 games of the 2018-19 season.
- Motrechuk set the program's single-game record of eight blocks in the Ram's win at Saint Louis Jan. 16.
- She matched the previous record (6) three times her sophomore year - against Bryant, Dartmouth and Massachusetts.
- After missing the 2018-19 season opener against Boston College due to injury, Motrechuk picked up right where she left off and made two stops in the win at Robert Morris.
- The Staten Island, N.Y. native made a season-high five blocks against Bryant her junior year.
- Motrechuk led the Atlantic 10 her sophomore season with 2.5 blocks per game and 68 total. The 68 blocks also ranked third on URI's single-season list.
- She blocked 23 shots in the 2017-18 season.