Perez, Dale, Moffitt, Jones, Motrechuk
Hampton-Bey, Soysal, George, Perry, Leidel
How It Happened
A late rally came up just short as Rhode Island fell, 57-53, to Massachusetts in the regular season finale for both teams Saturday afternoon.
The Rams (8-20, 3-13 Atlantic 10) trailed by as many as 16 points in the third quarter before they began chipping away. The shooting of guard Elemy Colome helped get the Rams back within striking distance. Colome scored 12 of her game-high 16 points after halftime to spark the rally.
Twice in the fourth quarter Rhode Island was able to make it a one-possession game. A Colome 3-pointer made the score 52-49 UMass (15-15, 7-9 A-10). The visitors pushed their lead back to seven points at 56-49, but layups by Nicole Jorgensen and Davida Dale cut the deficit back to three points. Rhody had two possessions with a chance to tie, but it was unable to get the equalizer.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt junior Elemy Colome scored a game-high 16 points and five assists.
- Redshirt junior Davida Dale added 10 points, nine rebounds and four steals.
- Senior Dina Motrechuk had six points, five rebounds and five blocked shots. With the five blocked shots, Motrechuk moved into third place in program history with 133 career blocks.
- Junior Nicole Jorgensen had nine points and six rebounds off the bench.
- Rhode Island had a 10-2 advantage in second-chance points.
The loss, combined with La Salle's win over George Mason, means Rhode Island will be the No. 14 seed in the Atlantic 10 Championship. The Rams will play at No. 3 Duquesne Tuesday night.