Rhode Island Starters: Brennan (GK), Wakeford, Kahele-Manners, Reynolds, Mencos, Ross, Lieberman, Goncalves, Gylfadottir, Cabral, Nardella
Bryant Starters: Brightman (GK), Donaghy, Grasso, Spangler, Thomas, Reddish, Crofut, Manna, Linden, Spitaleri, Guilmette
How It Happened
Megan Jessee's debut as Rhode Island's head coach was spoiled as in-state rival Bryant blanked the Rams 3-0 in the season opener for both sides.
Amanda Spitaleri put the Bulldogs (1-0) in front in the 22nd minute when headed a cross from Alison Guilmette. Bryant added to the lead when Guilmette curled in a corner kick in the 33rd minute.
Rhode Island's (0-1) best chance of the first half came in the 25th minute when Emily Wakeford took a through pass and fired a high, hard shot from about 15 yards out. Bryant keeper Rachel Brightman turned the shot away, diving to her right.
The Bulldogs had several quality chances to pad their score. Spitaleri had a breakaway in the fifth minute, but Haley Brennan made the diving save. Remi Manna had another chance for the Bulldogs in the eighth minute, but again Brennan came up with the stop, diving to her left. Brennan later added two stops in a matter of seconds, keeping the Rams in the game.
Bryant put the game away when Haley Reddish scored unassisted in the 57th minute.
21:29 – BRY – Amanda Spitaleri (Alison Guilmette)
32:13 – BRY – Alison Guilmette (unassisted, corner kick)
56:56 – BRY – Haley Reddish (unassisted)
Inside the Box Score
- Both teams finished with 13 total shots, but Bryant had a 10-7 edge in shots on goal.
- The Bulldogs also had an 8-1 advantage in corner kicks.
- Allyson Reynolds led Rhode Island with three shots on goal. Kelsie Cummings came off the bench and managed three total shots, including one on goal.
- Redshirt sophomore Haley Brennan made her first career start in net for the Rams. She recorded seven saves.
- Bryant keeper Rachel Brightman had five saves. Meghan Dalton came on for the second half and made two stops.
Rhode Island hosts Vermont on Sunday, Aug. 20 at the URI Soccer Complex. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.