How it Happened
Rhode Island struggled defensively, committing seven errors to set up Delaware State with plenty of scoring chances in a 11-2 loss Saturday night at the Lafayette Ford Lincoln of Lafayette Showcase.
Rhode Island (0-4) scored twice in the top of the first inning. Paige Julich and Ali Summers had back-to-back one-out singles. Lauren Klepchick then delivered a two-out single that was misplayed in the outfield, allowing Julich and Summers to come around to score.
The lead was short-lived, as Delaware State (2-2) capitalized on four hits and four errors to score six runs. The Rams never recovered, as the Hornets added two runs in the second and third innings and one more in the fourth to cap off the mercy rule victory.
Inside the Box Score:
- With her first inning single, Paige Julich extended her hitting streak to six games. She is batting .375 through the first four games of the season.
- After seeing her 10-game hitting streak come to an end earlier in the day, Ali Summers started a new one with a single in the first.
- Madi Housel delivered her first career extra-base hit with a triple in the fourth inning.
- Jenna Cubello had her second double of the season in the top of the fifth.
- Lauren Klepchick added a single for the offense.
- Of the 46 hits allowed by Rhode Island pitchers through the first four games, 39 have been singles. The pitchers have yet to allow a home run or triple through four games.
Stat of the Day
6 – Delaware State scored six unearned runs, five of which came in the first inning.
Rhode Island closes out play at the Lafayette Ford Lincoln of Fayetteville Showcase Sunday with a game against Lafayette. First pitch is scheduled for 12:30 p.m.