How It Happened
Rhode Island scored the first run of the day in the top of the first inning, but that was the high points for the Rams in an 8-2 loss at St. Bonaventure Sunday.
Rhody (12-29, 3-15 Atlantic 10) got off to a quick start when Ali Summers walked and moved to second on a passed ball. A Jenna Cubello single put runners on the corners with one out, and Summers came in when Kelly Licul delivered a two-out single.
St. Bonaventure (14-30, 7-12 A-10) took the lead right back in the bottom of the first when Morgan Phillips hit a two-run home run. The Bonnies put the game away in the bottom of the third with a five-run rally. The big hit in the outburst was a three-run home run by Katie Sinclair.
The Rams got one run back in the top of the fifth when Paige Julich drove in Marylynn Muldowney with a sacrifice fly. Rhode Island was unable to close the gap any further as it dropped its ninth straight.
Inside the Box Score
- Ali Summers doubled, singled and scored one run.
- Marylynn Muldowney singled and scored once.
- Kelly Licul singled and drove in one run.
- Jenna Cubello singled and stole one base.
- Paige Julich drove in one run with a sacrifice fly, walked once and stole a base.
- Becca Rogers pitched 2.2 innings of relief and struck out two batters, giving her 80 strikeouts on the season.
- St. Bonaventure starter Carly Bilchak went the distance, allowing two runs on five hits while striking out four.
- Emily McDonough set a St. Bonaventure record with a bunt single in the bottom of the sixth. It was her 61st hit of the year, a single-season record for the Bonnies.
Stat of the Day
30 – With her single in the fifth inning, Marylynn Muldowney became the fourth Ram to collect 30 hits this season, joining Kylie Shivery (37), Ali Summers (32) and Paige Julich (31). The last time Rhode Island had four players with at least 30 hits in a season was 2013, hen Kelly Coker (41), Courtney Prendergast (41), Jocelyn Mattison (35) and Taylor Archer (30) all reached the mark.
Rhode Island closes out the 2016 season with a three-game series against La Salle next weekend. The series with start with a doubleheader Saturday, May 7. First pitch is slated for noon.