How It Happened
Rhode Island (12-31, 3-17 Atlantic 10) dropped a pair of games to La Salle (15-28, 6-14 A-10) Saturday, falling in the first game, 8-4, and then losing the second game, 9-0.
In the opener, Rhody built a 4-0 lead through the first two innings. In the bottom of the first inning, Paige Julich doubled to drive in Ali Summers with the first run. Julich eventually scored when, with runners on the corners, Jenna Cubello stole second and the throw from the catcher sailed into center field, allowing Julich to come in.
In the next inning, Cubello drove in Summers with an RBI single and then scored on Lauren Klepchick's single that made the score 4-0. The Rams led until the top of the fifth, when La Salle pieced together a four-run rally, giving the Explorers a lead they never gave up.
In the second game, La Salle jumped out to a 5-0 lead after two innings and steadily increased the lead from there. Rhode Island managed just one hit in the game, a single by Summers.
Inside the Box Score
- Between games, the Rams honored six seniors playing in their final weekend. Taylor Archer, Kayla Cruz, Emily Hendricks, Olivia Hendricks, Caitlin Kennedy and Lauren Klpechick were all with the program for the last four seasons.
- Lauren Klepchick singled twice and drove in one run in the opener.
- Jenna Cubello had two singled, two stolen bases, one RBI and one run scored in the first game.
- Ali Summers singled once in each game. She also scored two runs in the opener.
- Madi Housel and Marylynn Muldowney each singled once in the first game.
- Danielle Gariglio doubled and singled in the first game.
- Paige Julich's double in the first game was her team-leading seventh of the season.
- Kayla Cruz started in left field in the second game and drew a walk in two plate appearances.
Stat of the Day
626 – Rhode Island's six seniors have combined to play in 626 games for the Rams. On Sunday, they will wear the Rhody uniform one final time.
Rhode Island and La Salle play a single game Sunday at noon in what will be the season finale for both teams.