How it Happened
Rhode Island dropped its seventh straight contest, losing 4-3 to Portland State in its final game at the GCU Invitational in Phoenix.
Portland State (0-9) took an early lead, scoring a single run in the top of the first. Marissa Bruno singled with one out and advanced on a groundout. Cleanup hitter Katherine Kramer brought her in with a single.
In the bottom of the third, Rhode Island got on the board. Marylynn Muldowney reached on an error and Ali Summers walked to put two runners on to start the inning. With two outs, Kylie Shivery drove in Muldowney with a double to knot the score.
The Vikings came right back with two runs in the top of the fourth. Hannah Self led off with a triple and came in when SheaLee Lindsey laced a two-out single down the left field line. A double by Shae Nelson brought in Lindsey to make it 3-1. Portland State added a run in the fifth to extend the lead to 4-1.
Rhody got the tying run on base in the bottom of the seventh. Caileigh Holland singled to lead off the inning. She eventually came in on a single by Shivery. Jenna Cubello made it a one-run game when she singled to drive in pinch runner Brianna Heller, but Cubello was stranded when a strikeout ended the game.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Kylie Shivery doubled, singled twice and drove in two runs.
- Senior Ali Summers doubled and singled.
- Sophomore Melanie Martire singled in the first inning to extend her hitting streak to three games. She has reached base safely in eight consecutive games.
- Senior Danielle Gariglio singled twice and now has three hits in her last two games.
- singled once.
- Senior Marylynn Muldowney and freshman Caileigh Holland each singled and scored one run.
- Senior Jenna Cubello singled, walked once and drove in one run.
- Freshman Sarah Gunderson had a solid outing in the circle. She pitched 5.1 innings, allowing just one run on four hits. She did not factor in the decision.
- Junior Brianna Heller appeared as a pinch runner and scored a run.
Stat of the Game
11 – Rhode Island batters struck out 11 times, compared to one strikeout for Portland State.
Rhode Island plays in the Liberty Classic in Lynchburg, Va. March 10-12. The event starts with a round robin featuring the Rams, N.C. Central, St. Francis (Pa.) and Liberty and then becomes a two-day bracket tournament. Rhody opens with games against N.C. Central and Liberty on Friday, March 10.