How it Happened
Rhode Island was blanked for the fourth time this season, falling 5-0 to N.C. Central Friday afternoon at the Liberty Softball Classic.
The Rams (1-12) were limited to just three hits by N.C. Central starter Dominique Wilson (3-7), who pitched her fifth complete game of the year. Wilson struck out five batters and was able to work around three walks to keep Rhody off the board.
NC Central (3-14) got all the runs it would need with two runs in the bottom of the second. Aleyah Evans singled to start the frame, and Danyelle Noland reached on an error. Evans eventually came in on a wild pitch, and Noland scored on a groundout.
The Eagles pushed the lead to 4-0 with two more runs in the third inning and added insurance with a single run in the fourth.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Kylie Shivery singled to extend her hitting streak to seven games. She is batting .500 (12-for-24) during the streak.
- Senior Jenna Cubello doubled for Rhody's lone extra-base hit of the game.
- Senior Danielle Gariglio singled.
- Senior Ali Summers walked, sophomore Melanie Martire and freshman Erika Yeager each walked once.
- Junior Madi Housel made her first appearance of the season, coming on as a pinch hitter in the seventh.
Stat of the Game
3 – Rhode Island managed just two hits, marking the sixth time in 13 games the Rams have been held to four hits or fewer this season.
Rhode Island plays host Liberty tonight at 5:30 p.m.