How it Happened
Rhode Island kept the game close for a couple innings, but Fordham eventually broke the game open with a five–run rally in the bottom of the third en route to a 9-0 victory Sunday. The win gave Fordham a three-game series sweep.
Rhode Island (2-18, 0-3 Atlantic 10) got a strong couple innings from Julia Waraksy, who helped Rhody stay close through 2.5 innings. Fordham (23-7, 3-0 A-10) used three hits and three walks in the bottom of the third to take a commanding lead. Skylar Johnston's three-run double was the big hit in the inning.
Fordham freshman pitcher Taylor Stocks (3-1) took care of the rest, limiting Rhode Island to two hits while hurling a five-inning shutout. It was the first complete-game shutout of her career.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Paige Julich had a double. She also turned in a defensive gem in the third inning, making a sliding catch on a line drive in left field and then throwing to third to double off the runner.
- Senior Ali Summers singled once.
- Junior Rachel Kuhlman walked once.
- Senior Danielle Gariglio also had a diving catch in the left-center gap in the fourth inning.
- Sophomore Julia Waraksy made her first start of the season.
Stat of the Day
0 – Rhode Island did not score any runs in the three-game series. The last time Rhody was shutout in three straight games was 2015, when the Rams were blanked by Akron, Stetson, Illinois-Chicago and Oakland over four games from Feb. 7 through Feb. 27.
Rhode Island plays its first home games of the season when it hosts Saint Louis in a three-game series at the URI Softball Complex next weekend. The series begins with a doubleheader Saturday, April 1 starting at noon.