How it Happened
Rhode Island exploded for seven runs in the bottom of the third inning en route to an 8-3 victory over Saint Louis Saturday evening
Saint Louis (14-14, 3-3 A-10) got a lead on the sixth pitch of the game. Leadoff hitter Alex Nickel lofted a ball to right field for a solo home run, giving the Billikens a quick 1-0 lead.
The Rams (3-18, 1-3 Atlantic 10) broke through in a big way in the bottom of the third, getting seven runs in the team's biggest inning of the season. Bri Castro led off with a walk and one out later, Ali Summers reached on an error. Caileigh Holland followed with a double to the gap in left center, scoring both runners. Holland was erased when a squeeze attempt failed, clearing the bases with two outs.
Rhode Island was not done, however, as Jenna Cubello and Kylie Shivery hit back-to-back doubles. Cubello scored on the latter hit, pushing the lead to 3-1. Shivery later scored when the Billikens threw the ball away on a single by Paige Julich to make it 4-1. With the bases loaded, Castro came up for the second time in the inning and launched a base-clearing double over the centerfielder's head, breaking the game open and putting the Rams up 7-1.
Cubello padded the lead with an RBI single that drove in Holland and extend the advantage to 8-1. Saint Louis scored twice in the top of the sixth – including one run on Nickel's second solo home run of the game – to pull within 8-3. That was as close as the Billikens got, as Becca Rogers retired five of the final six batters to seal the win.
Inside the Box Score
- Junior Bri Castro made her first start of the season, getting the nod at second base. She had a perfect day at the plate, hitting a three-run double and walking twice in three plate appearances. She also scored once and had two putouts and three assists in the field.
- Freshman Sarah Gunderson (2-6) pitched five-plus innings for the victory. She allowed just two runs on four hits for her second win in three starts.
- Freshman Caileigh Holland doubled, walked, drove in two runs and scored one.
- Senior Jenna Cubello doubled, singled, had one RBI and scored once.
- Junior Kylie Shivery doubled, scored once and drove in one run.
- Junior Paige Julich singled, scored once and made a sliding catch in right field.
- Senior Danielle Gariglio and freshman Erika Yeager each walked and scored once.
- Rhode Island batters drew five walks, a season high. The Rams also had a season-high four doubles.
- The Rams did not commit any errors. Over the last three games, Rhody has made just one error.
- The game was played at Sacred Heart's Pioneer Park in Fairfield, Conn. Poor weather in Kingston, R.I. forced the game to be moved.
Stat of the Day
7 – Rhode Island scored seven runs in the bottom of the third inning. That was as many runs as the team had scored in any games this season.
Rhode Island and Saint Louis will be at the URI Softball Complex for a doubleheader Sunday. The twin bill will start at 10 a.m.