How it Happened
Rhode Island (0-2) was limited to three hits as it fell 6-2 to the host team at the Elon Softball Tournament Friday night.
After a lengthy rain delay caused the game to start nearly two hours after the the scheduled first pitch, Elon (5-2) got a quick run in the first inning when Hannah Olson doubled down the left field line to drive in Kara Shutt.
Rhode Island took the lead in the top of the third. Adriana Toro led off the inning with a double, and Emily Zembik walked to get the first two batters on base. With two outs, Melanie Martire was hit by a pitch to load the bases, and Kylie Shivery singled through the left side to drive in Toro and Zembik.
That was it for the Rhody offense, however. The Rams sent the minimum number of batters to the plate over the final four innings. Rhode Island got a runner on in the top of the seventh when Toro walked, but a double play ended the game.
Elon scored single runs in the third and fourth innings to take the lead, then added three runs in the bottom of the sixth to essentially salt the game away.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Abigail Bates picked up her first career hit with a single in the top of the first inning.
- Redshirt sophomore Melanie Martire walked and was hit by a pitch. It was the second straight game she has reached via an HBP.
- Senior Kylie Shivery singled and drove in two runs. She now has 85 career runs batted in, moving her past Alyssa Martino (2004-07) for fourth place in program history. Shivery needs one more to tie Nicole Massoni (2009-12) for third place.
- Junior Adriana Toro doubled, walked and scored one run in her first start for the Rams.
- Sophomore Emily Zembik walked and scored once.
Stat of the Game
1-7 – Rhode Island was 1-7 with runners in scoring position.
Rhode Island plays two more games at the Elon Softball Tournament Saturday. The Rams go against Mt. Saint Mary's at 2 p.m. and Bowling Green at 4:15 p.m.