How it Happened
Senior Rachel Kuhlman drilled a two-run double with the bases loaded in the bottom of the seventh to lead Rhode Island to its first win of the season, a 3-2 victory over Mt. Saint Mary's at the Elon Softball Tournament Saturday afternoon.
Rhody (1-2) trailed 2-1 entering the home half of the seventh. Kylie Shivery led off with a double, Erika Yeager followed with a walk and Paige Julich was hit by a pitch to load the bases. After a fielder's choice got the lead runner at the plate, Kuhlman came to the plate. She hit the first pitch she saw to center field for a double, driving in pinch runner Brianna Heller and Julich with the tying and winning runs.
Freshman Riley Kernan (1-0) earned the victory for the Rams. She held Mount St. Mary's (0-2) to one hit while pitching a scoreless 1.1 innings in relief of Sarah Gunderson. Gunderson gave the Rams a strong outing, pitching 5.2 innings, allowing just two runs - which came on back-to-back batters in the bottom of the sixth. Gunderson had four strikeouts and just one walk.
Inside the Box Score
- Senior Rachel Kuhlman's first hit of the season was a two-run double. She has three runs batted in through three games this season, matching her total RBI from last season.
- Sophomore Erika Yeager hit a solo home run. It was the first home run of her career. She now has two doubles, one home run, four RBI and two walks through three games.
- Freshman Abigail Bates hit safely for the second straight game. She had a single and walk.
- Rhode Island's batters drew four walks and struck out just once.
- Senior Brianna Heller appeared as a pinch runner and scored.
Stat of the Game
7 – Seven of the eight hits in the game went for extra bases. The teams combined for four doubles and three home runs.
Rhode Island takes on Bowling Green Saturday afternoon. The game will begin around 5 p.m.