How It Happened
Rhode Island lost a pair of heartbreakers Friday at the EMU Madeira Beach Invitational, dropping its first two games of the weekend by one run each. The Rams fell at host Eastern Michigan 4-3 in 11 innings, and then were edged 5-4 by Albany.
Eastern Michigan 4, Rhode Island 3 (11 inn.)
Rhode Island held a 2-0 lead after five innings, but Eastern Michigan scored single runs in the sixth and seventh innings to force the game into extra innings. Both teams scored in the ninth inning. Eastern Michigan (1-5) finally claimed the victory in the bottom of the 11th when Sam Saporito singled to drive in Brandice Olmos.
Albany 5, Rhode Island 4
Trailing 5-3 heading into the bottom of the seventh, Rhode Island (1-5) got the potential tying run to the plate. Erika Yeager reached on a two-out single. Pinch runner Paige Julich scored from first base when Adriana Toro reached second base on an error. Caleigh Holland followed with a single up the middle, but Toro was thrown out at the plate the end the game.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Caileigh Holland had three hits on the day. She had one hit and one RBI against EMU, then had a pair of singles against Albany.
- Sophomore Emily Zembik singled once in each game. She scored one run against EMU, and she had an RBI against Albany.
- Redshirt sophomore Melanie Martire and senior Kylie Shivery each had two singles in the game against Eastern Michigan.
- Senior Rachel Kuhlman singled and scored a run against Albany.
- Senior Brianna Heller appeared as a pinch runner and scored a run against Eastern Michigan. It was her second time scoring in three appearances.
- Sophomore Erika Yeager singled once and drew three walks on the day.
- Sophomore Sarah Gunderson had a strong outing against Eastern Michigan, pitching 6.2 innings, allowing just five hits and two runs. She struck out three and did not walk a batter.
- Freshman Abby Fenbert singled and scored one run against Albany.
- Freshman Abigail Bates appeared as a pinch hitter, walked and scored a run against Albany.
- Junior Julia Waraksy pitched 1.2 hitless, scoreless innings of relief against Albany.
Rhode Island will play two more games Friday at the EMU Madeira Beach Invitational. The Rams take on Manhattan at 4 p.m. and Marist at 6:30 p.m.