How it Happened
Rhode Island (1-10) suffered a pair of shutout losses Friday, falling 8-0 in five innings to Ill.-Chicago and then 2-0 to Murray State at the Racer Classic.
Ill.-Chicago 8, Rhode Island 0 (5 inn.)
A tight game turned into a blowout when Ill.-Chicago erupted for six runs in the top of the third inning. Using four singles, a walk and a hit batter, Ill.-Chicago did all its damage without the benefit of an extra-base hit. Rhode Island actually had the lone extra-base hit of the game, a double from junior Rebecca Simms to lead off the bottom of the fifth inning. She was stranded there.
Murray State 2, Rhode Island 0
Junior Becca Rogers gave Rhode Island a strong performance in the circle, but the Rams could not get the offense going. Rogers went the distance, allowing two runs on six hits while striking out three. Rhody mustered just three hits as it was blanked for the third straight game.
Inside the Box Score
- Rhode Island was 0-13 on the day with runners in scoring position. The Rams were 0-5 against Ill.-Chicago and 0-8 against Murray State.
- The double for Rebecca Simms in the first game was her first hit of the season.
- Emily Zembik, Adriana Toro and Kylie Shivery each had one single against Murray State.
- Toro also drew a walk in the game.
- Freshman Riley Kernan pitched 2.2 scoreless innings against Ill.-Chicago.
Stat of the Day
19 – Rhode Island has not score in its last 19 innings.
Rhode Island takes on Oakland Saturday, March 10 at 11:30 a.m.