How It Happened
Rhode Island scored three runs in the seventh inning to knock off George Mason and earn a doubleheader split in Atlantic 10 action Saturday afternoon.
Game 1: George Mason 5, Rhode Island 2
A four-run rally in the bottom of the third inning was enough to spur George Mason to victory in the first game. The Patriots () had just one hit in the inning, but that hit was a two-out grand slam by Sydnee Wells. Two walks and an error loaded the bases for the big hit.
Game 2: Rhode Island 6, George Mason 4
With the score tied 3-3 heading into the final inning, Rhode Island scored three times in its final at bat to take a 6-3 lead. Erica Robles and Kylie Shivery had back-to-back RBI singles and a groundout by Erika Yeager drove in an insurance run for the Rams. In the bottom of the seventh, George Mason score one run and had the potential tying runs on the corners before sophomore Sarah Gunderson induced an infield pop up to end the game and secure the victory.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Caileigh Holland singled three times and scored three runs in the second game.
- Sophomore Erica Robles doubled, singled twice and drove in three runs. She now has a five-game hitting streak and has her batting average up to a team-best .353.
- Senior Kylie Shivery extended her own hitting streak to seven by picking up hits in both games. She also drove in three runs,
- Junior Adriana Toro had two hits and two runs scored on the day.
- Senior Rachel Kuhlman had a solo home run in the first game.
- Sophomore Erika Yeager had three hits and one RBI on the day, while freshman Abby Fenbert walked and scored two runs.
- Sophomore Sarah Gunderson picked up her first victory of the season, going the distance in the second game. She allowed just two earned runs while striking out six batters.
Stat of the Day
2 – Pitchers Becca Rogers and Sarah Gunderson combined to allow just two earned runs in 14 innings of work Saturday. Rogers and Gunderson each pitched a complete game.
Rhode Island and George Mason close out the series with a single game Sunday at noon.