KINGSTON, R.I. – Rhode Island returns to conference play Saturday when it hosts Fordham in a doubleheader as part of a three-game series.
Both teams are in the thick of the postseason race as the league reaches the midpoint of its Atlantic 10 season. Fordham sits in second place with an 8-1 mark, just one half a game behind Massachusetts atop the A-10 standings. Rhode Island currently sits in sixth place, just a half game behind George Washington. The top six teams qualify for the conference tournament.
Fordham comes to the URI Softball Complex riding a five-game win streak and has won 10 straight against Rhody. URI won its last game - a 3-1 victory at Brown. The last time Rhode Island beat Fordham was a doubleheader sweep in 2012.
Saturday, April 14
vs. Fordham, 12 p.m. - Live Stats
vs. Fordham, 2:30 p.m. – Live Stats
Monday, April 15
vs. Fordham, 12 p.m. – Live Stats
- Rhode Island's pitchers have shown dramatic improvement with their control this season, walking just 97 batters in 212.2 innings. Last season, the Rams walked 172 batters in 265.1 innings of work.
- The pitching staff also has a 4.11 earned run average this year, compared to a 6.75 ERA in 2017.
- Sophomore Erica Robles leads the team with eight multi-hit games.
- Junior Adriana Toro has a four-game hitting streak, the longest active streak on the team. Senior Kylie Shivery's eight-game streak is the longest for the Rams this season.
- Sophomore Erika Yeager is the only Rhode Island player to appear in every game this season. She has started all 32 games. Yeager has now started all 76 possible games of her career.