How It Happened
Rhode Island (11-14) suffered a walk-off loss at Providence, falling 4-3 when PC's Jessica Tomaso drilled a double to bring in Vanessa Portillo with the winning run.
Portillo drew a one-out walk for the Friars (17-12). Tomaso followed with a shot to the gap in left-center field, allowing Portillo to score all the way from first base, just ahead of the Rhode Island relay.
Rhody trailed 2-0 after the first inning, but cut the deficit when Caileigh Holland drove in Erica Robles with a groundout. The following inning, Ari Castillo's two-run triple drove in Leah Krivitsky and Sami Villarreal to put the Rams in front, 3-2.
A two-out solo shot by Megan McCune tied the game for Providence in the bottom of the third. From there, both teams were scoreless until Providence came up with the game-ending hit in the bottom of the seventh.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman Ari Castillo's two-run triple gave her the second multi-RBI game of her career. She is tied for second on the team with 12 RBI.
- Redshirt freshman Leah Krivitsky walked and scored one run.
- Junior Erica Robles and freshman Sami Villarreal each singled and scored once. Robles also was hit by a pitch.
- Freshman Susan Harrison had one single.
- Junior Erika Yeager delivered her seventh sacrifice hit of the season. She also recorded six putouts at first base, including the 600th of her career. She is one of five players in program history with more than 600 putouts.
- As a team, Rhode Island has drawn 91 walks through 25 games, while opponents have walked just 73 times.
Rhode Island is back in action Thursday when it travels to Boston University for a 4 p.m. game.