Rhode Island Rams vs. Maine Black Bears
Tootell Aquatics Center - Kingston, R.I.
How It Happened
Rhode Island won seven of the 16 individual events to beat Maine, 151-148, Saturday.
Nicole Petta won three individual events, including the 200-yard individual medley on the second-to-last event of the day. Brooke Kelley added a fifth-place finish in the event to secure a key point for the Rams. In the 3-meter dive, Katy Evans won, Alyssa Campone took third and Cameron Murray was fourth as Rhode Island outscored the Black Bears 14-5 in the event for a major momentum swing.
In the final event of the day, the quartet of Kelly Blake, Grace Kneller, Maddie Horner and Eliza Anderson earned a second-place finish in the 200-yard freestyle relay. Their time was just .09 seconds off the winning mark, and the four team points earned provided the margin of victory for Rhode Island.
Standouts from the Pool:
- Senior Nicole Petta earned a first-place finish in three events: the 100-yard breaststroke, the 200-yard breaststroke and the 200-yard IM.
- Junior Katy Evans finished first place in the 3-meter dive with a final score of 232.87. Her tally of 217.80 earned her a second-place finish in the 1-meter dive.
- Junior Maddie Horner's time of 1:56.230 in the 200-yard freestyle earned her a first-place finish.
- Junior Caitlin Guccione won the 200-yard butterfly with a time of 2:12.53. She finished second in the 100-yard butterfly behind sophomore teammate Kelly Blake.
- Junior Sabrina Anderson and sophomore Cara Megill finished second and third, respectively, in the 1000-yard freestyle.
- Kaitlyn Bansky, Nicole Petta, Caitlin Guccione and Eliza Anderson finished second in the 200-yard medley relay.
"It was a very exciting meet that went back and forth the entire time. We had some really great swims, and our divers really helped us pull ahead in the meet." - Assistant coach Lilli Falconer
The Rams will return to action Saturday, October 27 when they take on the Coast Guard Academy and Springfield in the Tootell Aquatic Center. The meet is scheduled to start at 12:30 p.m.