How It Happened
Rhode Island dropped a 5-2 decision at Dayton this afternoon. The Rams began with two wins in doubles play, earning a valuable point to start the match. Mihaela Codreanu/Tiara Higuchi won, 6-1, at #2 doubles before Nicole Legler/Rachel Smilansky took a 6-3 victory at #3 doubles.
After dropping the first three matches in singles play, the Rams rallied back to take the team win with three straight singles victories Smilansky won in three sets at #2 singles, 2-6, 6-3, 6-3 before Emily Zargham also battled to a three-set win, 6-4, 2-6, 6-4. Tiara Higuchi clinched the win with a three-set affair, 6-4, 6-7, 6-1.
1. Mihaela Codreanu (URI) def. Marlys Bridgham (UD) 6-2, 6-3
2. Alex Townsend (UD) def. Rachel Smilansky (URI) 7-6, 5-7, 6-0
3. Jade Kawamoto (UD) def. Emily Zargham (URI) 6-4, 6-4
4. Natalie Allen (UD) def. Ariel Haber (URI) 7-5, 6-3, 10-8
5. Tiara Higuchi (URI) def. Jackie Kawamoto (UD) 6-1, 6-1
6. Mandy Marchant (UD) def. Paige Alshon (URI) 6-1, 6-0
1. Mandy Marchant/Jade Kawamoto (UD) def. Ariel Haber/Emily Zargham (URI) 6-0
2. Mihaela Codreanu/Tiara Higuchi (URI) and Marlys Bridgham/Alex Townsend (UD) DNF
3. Natalie Allen/Jackie Kawamoto (UD) def. Nicole Legler/Rachel Smilansky (URI) 6-4
"We came out slow in doubles, losing at 1 and 3. The singles was extremely close. It was great to see Mihaela win against an opponent who she had never beaten. Tiara won easily and Rachel was winning the first set 5-1 but could not close out her opponent. Emily lost two close sets, Ariel came back one set down and lost in a close breaker. Experience in these close matches will pay off in the future."
- head coach Tim Murphy
Rhode Island completes its weekend road swing, playing at Cincinnati on Sunday, April 2.