ORLANDO, Fla. - Rhode Island's season came to an end Wednesday, as the No. 12 Rams fell to No. 5 Richmond 4-0 in the opening round of the Atlantic 10 Championship.
Richmond opened the match by taking the doubles point, winning 6-1 at both No. 1 and No. 3 doubles. At the second doubles spot, Rachel Smilansky and Halah Davis were tied 3-3 with Lyndell Giffenig and Adrienne Haynes. However, the match was halted once the Spiders clinched the point.
In singles play, Richmond won in straight sets at No. 1, 5 and 6 singles to clinch the match. Rhode Island's Mihaela Codreanu was ahead at the No. 2 singles spot, 7-5, 1-1 when the match was called. Officially the matches at No. 2, No. 3 and No. 4 singles all go in as Did Not Finish.
Richmond advanced to the quarterfinals, where it will face No. 4 Duquesne Friday at 3 p.m.
1. Emily Dunbar (UR) def. Rachel Smilansky (URI), 6-1, 6-3
2. Kiana Marshall (UR) vs. Mihaela Codreanu (URI) 5-7, 1-1, DNF
3. Dessi Zlateva (UR) vs. Ariel Haber (URI) 6-4, 4-0, DNF
4. Lea Owens (UR) vs. Halah Davis (URI) 6-4, 5-3, DNF
5. Gaby Rosales (UR) def. Nicole Legler (URI) 6-4, 6-0
6. Ana Ramirez (UR) def. Paige Alshon (URI), 6-0, 6-3
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 1
1. Emily Dunbar/Kiana Marshall (UR) def. Mihaela Codreanu/Ariel Haber (URI), 6-1
2. Lyndell Giffenig/Adrienne Haynes (UR) vs. Rachel Smilansky/Halah Davis (URI), 3-3, DNF
3. Dessi Zlateva/Lea Owens (UR) def. Nicole Legler/Paige Alshon (URI), 6-1