How It Happened
Rhode Island (3-4) came back from a 2-0 deficit and pulled out its second straight victory when freshman Erin Chratian outlasted Hofstra's Alejandra Ruffini at No. 1 singles Saturday.
With the team scored knotted at 3-3, the match between Chratian and Ruffini went down to the wire. Chratian took the opening set, 6-1, but Ruffini won the second set in a tiebreaker, 7-6. It was Chratian who won the battle, taking the deciding set 6-3 and picking up her second singles win of the week.
Junior Mihaela Codreanu and sophomore Halah Davis also won for the second time this week. Both won in straight sets, as Codreanu beat Katherine Kachkarov at No. 3, 6-0, 6-2 and Davis dispatched Ana Torres, 7-5, 6-3 at No. 6 singles.
Junior Tiara Higuchi won in a three-set battle at No. 2 singles. She defeated Jasmine King, 3-6, 6-4, 6-3.
1. King/Herndon (H) def. E. Chratian/Codreanu; 6-3
2. Ruffini/Kachkarov (H) def. Loredo/Higuchi; 6-4
3. Stork/Dolabany (H) vs. Haber/S. Chratian; 6-2
1. Erin Chratian (URI) def. Alejandra Ruffini; 6-1, 6-7, 6-3
2. Tiara Higuchi (URI) def. Jasmine King; 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. Mihaela Codreanu (URI) def. Katherine Kachkarov; 6-0, 6-2
4. Sarah Catherine Herndon (H) def. Paulina Loredo; 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
5. Odessa Stork (H) def. Ariel Haber; 6-2, 7-5
6. Halah Davis (URI) def. Ana Torres; 7-5, 6-3
Rhode Island faces Atlantic 10 competition for the first time this spring when it travels to Davidson on Saturday, March 2.
Rams Rally For Second Straight Win, Beat Hofstra, 4-3
How It Happened