How It Happened
Rhode Island sent its three seniors - Jill Anderson, Britta Baarstad and Kalyn Schieffer - out in style with a 3-0 sweep of Fordham on Saturday night at Keaney Gym.
Rhody held Fordham to a sub-.100 hitting percentage in both the first (.034) and third (.061) sets while edging out the visiting Rams in a much closer second set which featured two lead changes and four ties.
Overall, URI combined to outscore Fordham 75-54, shutting out their A-10 rivals for the second time this season.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore Franki Darnold led all players with a match-high 11 kills. She was the only player to finish in double figures, posting her 24th double-digit kill game of the season.
- Darnold also had a pair of aces and three blocks.
- Freshman Callan Kinnan put up a match-best 32 assists, marking the 22nd time this season she records 30+. She also led the team with nine digs.
- Freshman Layne Self recorded five kills and eight blocks on the night. As a team, Rhode Island finished with 20 while Fordham had just four.
- Junior Catie Steffen registered six kills while freshman Lena Vedder chipped in with six. The pair also combined for three digs and three blocks.
- Senior libero Kalyn Schieffer picked up her first career block (assist) in her final match at Keaney Gym. She also added eight digs and a pair of assists.
- Also playing in the last home match of their careers were Jill Anderson and Britta Baarstad. Anderson finished with six kills and a pair of blocks while Baarstad had seven digs, four kills, one assist and an ace.
Rhode Island returns to action when it opens up play at the Atlantic 10 Championship, next weekend at George Washington's Smith Center. Tournament pairings and match ups will be announced tomorrow afternoon, following the conclusion of the three remaining conference matches left to be played.